Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stuck Fuse - How to Remove

Some of the fuses in our Frigidaire Elite stove are stuck and I cannot
remove them.
I cannot turn them past a certain point.
They are mounted vertically.

All suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

allanc wrote:
Some of the fuses in our Frigidaire Elite stove are stuck and I cannot
remove them.
I cannot turn them past a certain point.
They are mounted vertically.

All suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Are you sure they unscrew?

Some fuse holders turn counter-clockwise a bit to unlock, then pull straight
out.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

allanc wrote:

....top posting repaired--please don't do that...

HeyBub wrote:

Some fuse holders turn counter-clockwise a bit to unlock, then pull straight
out.

Three other fuses in the same group unscrewed.
I just tried your suggestion and unfortunately, they do not pull out.

Need either pitchurs or link to manufacturer's parts drawings to be able
to see/visualize the fuses in question to do more than conjecture given
the number of styles of fuse holders possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

Some fuse holders turn counter-clockwise a bit to unlock, then pull straight
out.

Three other fuses in the same group unscrewed.
I just tried your suggestion and unfortunately, they do not pull out.

Need either pitchurs or link to manufacturer's parts drawings to be able
to see/visualize the fuses in question to do more than conjecture given
the number of styles of fuse holders possible.

You need to suirt a bit of lubricant in there to keep the fuse from
galling in the holder. A good tapping lube would likely be the best
bet - something like "tap=rite" or even a GOOD penetrating oil (forget
WD-40)

Posted to alt.home.repair

allanc wrote:

Some of the fuses in our Frigidaire Elite stove are stuck and I cannot
remove them.
I cannot turn them past a certain point.
They are mounted vertically.

All suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Some fuse holders require you to push down on the fuse to get them past
a certain point. If that is not the case here much wiggling of the
fuse may be required to loosen them.

Why are you pulling out all the fuses anyway?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 10, 8:55*am, allanc wrote:
Some of the fuses in our Frigidaire Elite stove are stuck and I cannot
remove them.
I cannot turn them past a certain point.
They are mounted vertically.

All suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Make sure the fuse is turning and not the fuse holder. We had an old
Hotpoint that did that. The fuse just went to the clock and an aux
outlet so it was no biggy but we did fix it. We destructed the fuse to
get it out. It was pretty well corroded in place, luckily old stoves
that used screw in fuses are also put together with screws and bolts
instead of welds and rivets and can usually be disassembled fairly
easily. Istill use it out in the garage for things my wife wont allow
me to do in the kitchen like baking on paint and cooking rutabagas.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 11:41:58 -0500, dpb wrote:

You need to suirt a bit of lubricant in there to keep the fuse from
galling in the holder. A good tapping lube would likely be the best
bet - something like "tap=rite" or even a GOOD penetrating oil (forget
WD-40)

If that were the problem as opposed to wrong action for particular fuse
type a contact cleaner would be good. WD40 wouldn't be a terrible
choice; many of the true penetrating oils would not be good selection
for electrical contacts.

The good penetrant first to get the fuse out, THEN the cleaner - and
then a good dialectric grease on the new fuse, perhaps.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

allanc wrote:
I am about to head out to the local hardware store.

At this point, I do not know what to purchase.

For what purpose?

Not knowing any more details, it's not possible to really provide any
more specific details on what the problem is.

_IF_ it's indeed a screw-in fuse and corroded and you're asking about a
lubricant, I'd go first w/ an electrical contact cleaner -- it's thin
enough to penetrate and will wet the surfaces and won't leave any
residue to clean up.

But, if it were that type and it started to turn, it seems unlikely to
me that it would then hang up if it once started.

It could, of course, be that what's turning is simply the top of the
fuse and the base hasn't budged like a light bulb where the seal between
the glass and the base fails. If that's the case, you may as well just
destructively remove the top and do the same sort of thing w/ the base
threads as a light bulb base to get it out in that kind of a case.

But, before recommending specifically that action I'd want to actually
see what it is we're working on/with 'cause at this point it's still
mostly mystery to us as we can't look over your shoulder from here.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

allanc wrote:
The broiler element is not heating at all.

Should be marked which fuse controls it. Is the one in question it?

BTW on my other post--if it indeed is the case that the top has turned
and not the rest, it's highly likely the fuse is opened mechanically
even if it wasn't blown electrically. Oh, another thought...perhaps it
actually managed to spot weld itself in when it blew--I've seen that
happen on one occasion.

Anyway, _still_ would like confirmation on the type of fuse under
discussion here...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

allanc wrote:
Yes, the fuse that I cannot remove is for the broiler element.

This is pulling hen's teeth...

What is the fuse physical type? We _still_ don't know what it is we're
actually working on here other than a fuse of some description.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have to apologize.
I assumed that all stove fuses were the same (with the copper? metal
inside a glass top and a bronze coloured base that screws into a
receptacle).

wrote:
On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 05:55:25 -0700 (PDT), allanc
wrote:

Some of the fuses in our Frigidaire Elite stove are stuck and I cannot
remove them.
I cannot turn them past a certain point.
They are mounted vertically.

All suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Not sure what kind of fuses you're dealing with, but if they're common
plug fuses, UNPLUG the stove, and spray some PB Blaster on them. Let
it soak awhile, and spray again. Then work them in and out. Spray
more times if needed.....

When you reinstall the fuses, out some silicone grease on the threads
(avaialble at auto parts stores for spark plug wires).

LM

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

allanc wrote:
I have to apologize.
I assumed that all stove fuses were the same ...

Never assume when asking for help. Virtually nothing is the same on
everything and don't necessarily know what specific fuse you're actually
talking about--could be a control circuit as well as or instead of a
high-voltage circuit; etc., etc., ...

Is this similar to what you have?

http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=b2a13ei3461&PartID=3461

If so, and it doesn't unscrew, then it's try the solvent but it's
destructive removal time if it doesn't come easily.

May want to see what shape the actual base is in--if it's really heavily
corroded and unless is no way to replace it, might consider that as well
while at it. The suggestion for a touch of dielectric grease isn't a
terrible one certainly...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"allanc" wrote in message
Some of the fuses in our Frigidaire Elite stove are stuck and I cannot
remove them.
I cannot turn them past a certain point.
They are mounted vertically.

All suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

This is a classic example of if it doesn't work force it. If it breaks it
needed fixing anyway.