Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default plug ring circuit keeps flicking the fuse switch on fuse board

Just had an extension and new fuse board fitted as a result. One of
the plug rings keeps flicking the fuse switch on the fuse board when
there's a bunch of appliances running off it in the kitchen, the usual
stuff - kettle, washing machine, dryer etc ... I'm gonna talk to the
sparky about this but I'm wondering 1. why this might be happening and
2. if there's a possibility to increase/decrease the tolerance level
before the fuse switch flicks?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Dundonald contains these words:

Just had an extension and new fuse board fitted as a result. One of
the plug rings keeps flicking the fuse switch on the fuse board when
there's a bunch of appliances running off it in the kitchen, the usual
stuff - kettle, washing machine, dryer etc ... I'm gonna talk to the
sparky about this but I'm wondering 1. why this might be happening and
2. if there's a possibility to increase/decrease the tolerance level
before the fuse switch flicks?

You really need to give more information but:

Are you sure it is a ring circuit, not a radial. Rings usually have 32A
MCBs, a radial may only have 20A MCB.

What are the appliances on the circuit and what do their individual
ratings add up to. 4 amps to the kilowatt should be close enough to see
how highly loaded the circuit can be.

If the capacity is marginal you can avoid tripping the circuit MCB by
making sure the 2 highest rated appliances are not in use at the same
time as every other appliance on the kitchen circuit.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Dundonald wrote:
Just had an extension and new fuse board fitted as a result. One of
the plug rings keeps flicking the fuse switch on the fuse board when
there's a bunch of appliances running off it in the kitchen, the usual
stuff - kettle, washing machine, dryer etc ... I'm gonna talk to the
sparky about this but I'm wondering 1. why this might be happening and
2. if there's a possibility to increase/decrease the tolerance level
before the fuse switch flicks?

What 'flicks'? Just the one for that circuit or one which does others as
well?

--
*Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dundonald wrote:

Just had an extension and new fuse board fitted as a result. One of
the plug rings keeps flicking the fuse switch on the fuse board when
there's a bunch of appliances running off it in the kitchen, the usual
stuff - kettle, washing machine, dryer etc ... I'm gonna talk to the
sparky about this but I'm wondering 1. why this might be happening and
2. if there's a possibility to increase/decrease the tolerance level
before the fuse switch flicks?

Likely you're putting more appliances on one ring or radial than it
can supply, so the mcb's tripping.

Increase tolerance? Put a wire fuse in might help a little, but not a
lot, and theyre inconvenient when they pop. Anything else would
mean some rewiring.

Simplest workaround is not to switch some much power on at once,
but understandably not a popular option.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 13, 2:13 am, wrote:
Dundonaldwrote:
Just had an extension and new fuse board fitted as a result. One of
the plug rings keeps flicking the fuse switch on the fuse board when
there's a bunch of appliances running off it in the kitchen, the usual
stuff - kettle, washing machine, dryer etc ... I'm gonna talk to the
sparky about this but I'm wondering 1. why this might be happening and
2. if there's a possibility to increase/decrease the tolerance level
before the fuse switch flicks?

Likely you're putting more appliances on one ring or radial than it
can supply, so the mcb's tripping.

Increase tolerance? Put a wire fuse in might help a little, but not a
lot, and theyre inconvenient when they pop. Anything else would
mean some rewiring.

Simplest workaround is not to switch some much power on at once,
but understandably not a popular option.

NT

Sounds great, except the sparky was explicitly told what the plug
sockets will be used for and it's nothing out of the ordinary for the
kitchen - a washing machine, dish washer, dryer, kettle.

diff between a 250V 10A fuse and a 32V 10A glass fuse? Mikepier Home Repair 14 July 15th 18 01:57 AM
Hotpoint Aquarius Washing machine - Fuse in plug keeps blowing [email protected] UK diy 4 January 16th 07 09:47 AM
Fuse board breaker Barnsey UK diy 2 October 13th 06 11:51 PM
switch-fuse and service-fuse discrimination Fash UK diy 16 July 19th 06 12:28 PM
Delay Plug fuse Question ChrisGW Home Repair 5 January 10th 05 04:26 PM