Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to keep PVC cement from drying?

I work with PVC irrigation pipes, small jobs at a time.

Every time I try to use a previously opened can of cement, it has glued
itself shut beyond redemption.

I am careful not to get cement on the rim of the can, but it takes very
little to permanently glue the can shut.

I am sure I am not the only one who has this problem. How do you guys cope
with it?

--

Walter
www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Walter R." wrote:

I work with PVC irrigation pipes, small jobs at a time.

Every time I try to use a previously opened can of cement, it has glued
itself shut beyond redemption.

I am careful not to get cement on the rim of the can, but it takes very
little to permanently glue the can shut.

I am sure I am not the only one who has this problem. How do you guys cope
with it?

I buy the brand that only works on plastic, and doesn't melt metal.

Seriously, I've been through several dozen cans over the years but never
had that problem. It will dry out in the can after a while, but never
had trouble getting the lid off. Sometimes a pair of channel-locks might
be needed, but that's SOP in my book.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter R. wrote:
I work with PVC irrigation pipes, small jobs at a time.

Every time I try to use a previously opened can of cement, it has glued
itself shut beyond redemption.

I am careful not to get cement on the rim of the can, but it takes very
little to permanently glue the can shut.

I am sure I am not the only one who has this problem. How do you guys cope
with it?

I use a 'channel lock' type pliers or a pipe wrench to get the can open.
... Be careful not to bend or deform the lid/can. If it starts to deform
stop and turn the can a little and try again... Try several different
spots until it opens.

My problem is I usually spill most of the can on the ground before it
has a chance to dry out in the can....

Also don't let the can sit in the hot sun open or closed.

Kevin
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 25, 10:32*pm, "Walter R." wrote:
I work with PVC irrigation pipes, small jobs at a time.

Every time I try to use a previously opened can of cement, it has glued
itself shut beyond redemption.

I am careful not to get cement on the rim of the can, but it takes very
little to permanently glue the can shut.

I am sure I am not the only one who has this problem. How do you guys cope
with it?

--

Walterwww.rationality.net

A little Vaseline on the thread might work for you.

I always use this on tubes of glue and it has saved me a lot of
frustration.

Hope this helps you.

Lewis.

*****

Posted to alt.home.repair

My boss used to buy the 16 ounce cans. Cement, primer,
Rectorseal, and so on. Finally I noticed that Home Depot and
some of the chains have the product in 8 or 4 ounce cans. I
started to buy the smaller cans, and much of the problem was
resolved.

It's also possible to slip in a couple smaller cans, in the
space of one larger can, and more conveniently also.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Walter R." wrote in message
I work with PVC irrigation pipes, small jobs at a time.

Every time I try to use a previously opened can of cement,
it has glued
itself shut beyond redemption.

I am careful not to get cement on the rim of the can, but it
takes very
little to permanently glue the can shut.

I am sure I am not the only one who has this problem. How do
you guys cope
with it?

--

Walter
www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 26, 7:04*am, ru4linux2 wrote:
On Feb 25, 10:32*pm, "Walter R." wrote:

I work with PVC irrigation pipes, small jobs at a time.

Every time I try to use a previously opened can of cement, it has glued
itself shut beyond redemption.

I am careful not to get cement on the rim of the can, but it takes very
little to permanently glue the can shut.

I am sure I am not the only one who has this problem. How do you guys cope
with it?

--

Walterwww.rationality.net

A little Vaseline on the thread might work for you.

I always use this on tubes of glue and it has saved me a lot of
frustration.

Hope this helps you.

Lewis.

*****

I use DC4 dielectric grease mostly because I always have a tube handy
for light bulbs. It only takes a tiny bit.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

I work with PVC irrigation pipes, small jobs at a time.
Every time I try to use a previously opened can of cement, it has
glued itself shut beyond redemption.

Like others here, I use a pair of channel-lock pliers to remove stubborn
lids.

However, unless you are working on a large project, it's better to buy a
few small cans instead of one large one. Once you open the can air gets in
and the cement will gel over time and be worthless the next time you need
it. With small cans you'll always have a fresh unopened can ready for your
next small project.

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote in message
I work with PVC irrigation pipes, small jobs at a time.

Every time I try to use a previously opened can of cement, it has glued
itself shut beyond redemption.

I am careful not to get cement on the rim of the can, but it takes very
little to permanently glue the can shut.

I am sure I am not the only one who has this problem. How do you guys cope
with it?

Try a strap (?) wrench.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter R. wrote:
I work with PVC irrigation pipes, small jobs at a time.

Every time I try to use a previously opened can of cement, it has
glued itself shut beyond redemption.

I am careful not to get cement on the rim of the can, but it takes
very little to permanently glue the can shut.

I am sure I am not the only one who has this problem. How do you guys
cope with it?

If your channel locks won't open it, I bet heating the lid with boiling water
would get it loose. Storing the can upside down might keep it from solidifying
at the lid. It works for paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote in message
I work with PVC irrigation pipes, small jobs at a time.

Every time I try to use a previously opened can of cement, it has glued
itself shut beyond redemption.

I am careful not to get cement on the rim of the can, but it takes very
little to permanently glue the can shut.

I am sure I am not the only one who has this problem. How do you guys cope
with it?

--

I always close the can very tightly with a pipe wrench. When it starts to
get too thick I add a little MEK and let it set for a day or so.

Walter
www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

I guess there is no miracle cure. Back to small cans and channel lock
pliers. Thanks guys.

--

Walter
www.rationality.net
"Walter R." wrote in message
I work with PVC irrigation pipes, small jobs at a time.

Every time I try to use a previously opened can of cement, it has glued
itself shut beyond redemption.

I am careful not to get cement on the rim of the can, but it takes very
little to permanently glue the can shut.

I am sure I am not the only one who has this problem. How do you guys cope
with it?

--

Walter
www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote in message
I work with PVC irrigation pipes, small jobs at a time.

Every time I try to use a previously opened can of cement, it has glued
itself shut beyond redemption.

I am careful not to get cement on the rim of the can, but it takes very
little to permanently glue the can shut.

I am sure I am not the only one who has this problem. How do you guys
cope with it?

--

Walter
www.rationality.net

It might not be practical with the brushes in the lids but I have found that
a layer of plastic wrap between the can and lid works for most screw caps.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 20:32:51 -0800, "Walter R."
wrote:

I work with PVC irrigation pipes, small jobs at a time.

Every time I try to use a previously opened can of cement, it has glued
itself shut beyond redemption.

I am careful not to get cement on the rim of the can, but it takes very
little to permanently glue the can shut.

I am sure I am not the only one who has this problem. How do you guys cope
with it?

What are you using? I use the Oakley primer and PVC glue. These
metal cans seal tightly and have a brush mounted in the cap. Lasts
many years, never had an issue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Walter R., pogomonster wrote:
fill a small waterproof sandwich bag with water ,,,, carefully insert in the
can ..be sure not to puncture the bag ... the bag of water will displace the
air in the can .. & prevent drying out ... on next use .. just dump out the
water ... puncture the plastic bag .. & access the cement below ...

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ng-361373-.htm

Removing contact adhesive cement/mortar floor, repairing cement Clive UK diy 3 October 16th 08 04:25 PM
drying wood Phisherman Woodworking 2 December 15th 07 07:29 PM
ABS Cement Drying Time Steve B Home Repair 4 May 27th 06 05:34 AM
Cement Backer Board on Cement Subfloor? [email protected] Home Repair 4 December 6th 05 01:38 AM
Drying wood Peter Woodturning 1 October 20th 03 01:54 AM