Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

Default ABS Cement Drying Time

I just did a repair with ABS cement. There is nowhere on the can that
states drying time. It just says, "Allow cement to fully cure before
handling assembly."

Duh!

How long would that be? The part is in the full sun since 9 AM this
morning. I just went up there and touched it, and it is still a bit soft.
I figure 8 hours at 90 degrees F in the full sun should be adequate to apply
water pressure.

But, what is the correct answer? I may just leave the pressure off for 24
hours and be extra sure. It's to the solar heater, and I like the water
warmer than it is without the heater.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
I just did a repair with ABS cement. There is nowhere on the can that
states drying time. It just says, "Allow cement to fully cure before
handling assembly."

Duh!

How long would that be? The part is in the full sun since 9 AM this
morning. I just went up there and touched it, and it is still a bit soft.
I figure 8 hours at 90 degrees F in the full sun should be adequate to apply
water pressure.

But, what is the correct answer? I may just leave the pressure off for 24
hours and be extra sure. It's to the solar heater, and I like the water
warmer than it is without the heater.

Steve

What are you using the cement to repair. The reason the cure time is
not listed is that it varies greatly on many factors including how much
water you mixed it with, tempature, humidity, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
I just did a repair with ABS cement. There is nowhere on the can that
states drying time. It just says, "Allow cement to fully cure before
handling assembly."

Duh!

How long would that be? The part is in the full sun since 9 AM this
morning. I just went up there and touched it, and it is still a bit soft.
I figure 8 hours at 90 degrees F in the full sun should be adequate to apply
water pressure.

But, what is the correct answer? I may just leave the pressure off for 24
hours and be extra sure. It's to the solar heater, and I like the water
warmer than it is without the heater.

Steve

Scratch that, wrong cement!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis

According to Steve B :

But, what is the correct answer? I may just leave the pressure off for 24
hours and be extra sure. It's to the solar heater, and I like the water
warmer than it is without the heater.

The instructions I've seen always say 24 hours before applying any
pressure.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est