Posted to alt.home.repair
Kevin Ricks Kevin Ricks is offline

Default How to keep PVC cement from drying?

Walter R. wrote:
I work with PVC irrigation pipes, small jobs at a time.

Every time I try to use a previously opened can of cement, it has glued
itself shut beyond redemption.

I am careful not to get cement on the rim of the can, but it takes very
little to permanently glue the can shut.

I am sure I am not the only one who has this problem. How do you guys cope
with it?

I use a 'channel lock' type pliers or a pipe wrench to get the can open.
... Be careful not to bend or deform the lid/can. If it starts to deform
stop and turn the can a little and try again... Try several different
spots until it opens.

My problem is I usually spill most of the can on the ground before it
has a chance to dry out in the can....

Also don't let the can sit in the hot sun open or closed.

Kevin