Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default How to keep PVC cement from drying?

In article ,
"Walter R." wrote:

I work with PVC irrigation pipes, small jobs at a time.

Every time I try to use a previously opened can of cement, it has glued
itself shut beyond redemption.

I am careful not to get cement on the rim of the can, but it takes very
little to permanently glue the can shut.

I am sure I am not the only one who has this problem. How do you guys cope
with it?

I buy the brand that only works on plastic, and doesn't melt metal.

Seriously, I've been through several dozen cans over the years but never
had that problem. It will dry out in the can after a while, but never
had trouble getting the lid off. Sometimes a pair of channel-locks might
be needed, but that's SOP in my book.