Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Using Havahart traps to relocate animals

All the traps specify which animals they catch. One Amazon.com page* shows
three different sizes to cover all animals being sold as a package. But why
can't larger traps also be used for smaller animals?

* http://www.amazon.com/Havahart-1085-.../dp/B000H6JJEA

Wouldn't this one trap catch all size animals that are too big to get through
the mesh?

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 17:39:33 -0500, Don Wiss
wrote:

All the traps specify which animals they catch. One Amazon.com page* shows
three different sizes to cover all animals being sold as a package. But why
can't larger traps also be used for smaller animals?

* http://www.amazon.com/Havahart-1085-.../dp/B000H6JJEA

Wouldn't this one trap catch all size animals that are too big to get through
the mesh?

Yes, if they are also heavy enough to trip the trigger. The way
they are set up, the weight of the door holds the trigger in place-
the bigger the trap, the heavier the door.

Also note that relocating wildlife is illegal in most places. [and
beside the legality- why just drop your problems on someone else's
property?] You can probably get a permit to kill nuisance animals-
or let an animal control officer take of them.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 18:01:08 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 17:39:33 -0500, Don Wiss wrote:

* http://www.amazon.com/Havahart-1085-.../dp/B000H6JJEA

Wouldn't this one trap catch all size animals that are too big to get through
the mesh?

Yes, if they are also heavy enough to trip the trigger. The way
they are set up, the weight of the door holds the trigger in place-
the bigger the trap, the heavier the door.

Okay. Though I would think a squirrel would be big enough to trip this
trap.

Also note that relocating wildlife is illegal in most places. [and
beside the legality- why just drop your problems on someone else's
property?] You can probably get a permit to kill nuisance animals-
or let an animal control officer take of them.

NYC will issue no permits to kill nuisance animals. They have stated it is
okay to relocate raccoons. Last Summer some neighbors paid a lot of money
to a professional trapper to relocate a couple raccoons a couple hundred
miles to Lake George (or so the trapper claims). The city did tell me that
it would be okay if we relocated raccoons to Cunningham Park, but the
neighbors weren't interested.

I am now trying to relocate a squirrel that has mastered getting into my
squirrel-proof bird feeder. It took years before one figured it out. I have
so far relocated one or two (the first time I picked a park only a mile
away), but not the fat one I want to get. My 50 year old Havahart squirrel
size trap does not have spring loaded doors. Something is springing the
trap and not getting caught.

As we had raccoons last summer it is possible for them to reappear. So I
figure why not get this size and use for both squirrels and raccoons.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote in
:

* http://www.amazon.com/Havahart-1085-...odchucks/dp/B0
00H6JJEA

Wouldn't this one trap catch all size animals that are too big to get
through the mesh?

Yes, if they are also heavy enough to trip the trigger. The way
they are set up, the weight of the door holds the trigger in place-
the bigger the trap, the heavier the door.

Also note that relocating wildlife is illegal in most places. [and
beside the legality- why just drop your problems on someone else's
property?] You can probably get a permit to kill nuisance animals-
or let an animal control officer take of them.

Jim

You can probably get a permit to kill nuisance animals-
or let an animal control officer take of them.

I don't like it or I don't understand it or it bothers me or it's in my
way or I'm scared of it, etc.; therefore, kill it.

Well, I guess it could be worse...I could think like that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Don Wiss wrote:

I am now trying to relocate a squirrel that has mastered getting into my
squirrel-proof bird feeder. It took years before one figured it out

Sounds like you need The Yankee Flipper!

http://www.yankeeflipper.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

i have the havaheart racoon size trap ,it works on suirrells too, i
guess when you get down to rat size they may be able to sueeze out..

Posted to alt.home.repair

trapping a animal in the winter and reloating is likely a cruel death
sentence.

away from its den and food sources.

I dont nunderstand why bird lovers hate squirells so much. they are
just another of gods creatures.......

just buy a new squirrel proof feeder ad leave the squirrel alone
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 00:44:42 GMT, (Doug Miller) wrote:

Don Wiss wrote:

I am now trying to relocate a squirrel that has mastered getting into my
squirrel-proof bird feeder. It took years before one figured it out

Sounds like you need The Yankee Flipper!

http://www.yankeeflipper.com

Looks neat. However it doesn't have enough feeding ports to put out the
over 1 1/2 pounds of hulled sunflowers seeds that I can do do with
Duncraft's Squirrel Proof II feeder. And if it did I'd have to fill it
almost daily instead of every six days.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Posted to alt.home.repair

Also note that relocating wildlife is illegal in most places.
[and beside the legality- why just drop your problems on someone
else's property?] You can probably get a permit to kill
nuisance animals- or let an animal control officer take of them.
Jim

That's why my hubby and I would take them away during the evening.

To sneak the animal into someone's neighborhood?

We have a huge wooded (forest like) park nearby. Most of it
people aren't be able to get thru. There are trails in several
places. Many ponds and very hilly terrain.
We wait for no people to be around us. If somebody comes along we
pretend to be "lovers" and they're none the wiser.

Don't do it in a park in my neighborhood (says EVERYONE).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bert Byfield wrote:
Also note that relocating wildlife is illegal in most places.
[and beside the legality- why just drop your problems on someone
else's property?] You can probably get a permit to kill
nuisance animals- or let an animal control officer take of them.
Jim

That's why my hubby and I would take them away during the evening.

To sneak the animal into someone's neighborhood?

We have a huge wooded (forest like) park nearby. Most of it
people aren't be able to get thru. There are trails in several
places. Many ponds and very hilly terrain.
We wait for no people to be around us. If somebody comes along we
pretend to be "lovers" and they're none the wiser.

Don't do it in a park in my neighborhood (says EVERYONE).

With squirrels, you really want them several miles away and across a
body of moving water too wide to jump or they'll be right back.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"J. Clarke" wrote

With squirrels, you really want them several miles away and across a
body of moving water too wide to jump or they'll be right back.

--John

With squirrels, I just kill them. Otherwise, they come back, or just make
more squirrels.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

*
[...]

Note, in New York:

Gray and fox squirrels are protected game species, with set seasons (the
"black" squirrel is actually a gray squirrel that's just darker). Red and
both flying squirrels are unprotected. From ECL 11-0523:

"7. Whenever black, grey and fox squirrels, opossums or weasels are injuring
property on occupied farms or lands or dwellings, they may be taken [killed]
at any time in any manner, by the owners or occupants thereof or by a person
authorized in writing by such owner or occupant."

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

All the traps specify which animals they catch. One Amazon.com page* shows
three different sizes to cover all animals being sold as a package. But why
can't larger traps also be used for smaller animals?

* http://www.amazon.com/Havahart-1085-.../dp/B000H6JJEA

Wouldn't this one trap catch all size animals that are too big to get through
the mesh?

It takes less water to drown them in the smaller traps.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 17:55:38 -0600, Red Green
wrote:

You can probably get a permit to kill nuisance animals-
or let an animal control officer take of them.

Seems silly to buy haveahart traps and then kill them.

I don't like it or I don't understand it or it bothers me or it's in my
way or I'm scared of it, etc.; therefore, kill it.

Well, I guess it could be worse...I could think like that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

You can probably get a permit to kill nuisance animals-
or let an animal control officer take of them.

I don't like it or I don't understand it or it bothers me or it's in
my way or I'm scared of it, etc.; therefore, kill it.

Well, I guess it could be worse...I could think like that.

Not my philosophy but I always found this amusing...

"If you love something, let it go; if it doesn't come back, hunt it down and
kill it".

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I presume you're aware that the folks in Lake George have a
racoon problem. They have been relocating to your town.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
news On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 18:01:08 -0500, Jim Elbrecht

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

You should stop on a bridge, and drop the animal into the
center of the flowing water.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Marina" wrote in message

That's why my hubby and I would take them away during the
evening.
We have a huge wooded (forest like) park nearby. Most of it
people aren't
be able to get thru. There are trails in several places.
Many ponds and
very hilly terrain.

We wait for no people to be around us. If somebody comes
along we pretend
to be "lovers" and they're none the wiser.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You can probably get a permit to kill nuisance animals-
or let an animal control officer take of them.

Seems silly to buy haveahart traps and then kill them.

The live trap can be 'on duty' 24 hours a day. It beats a snap trap
as it guarantees you don't kill your pet weasel or whatever.

That said- this is my squirrel medicine-
http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews114230.html
..17 cal single shot, break barrel pellet gun. Always a head shot
at 50ft- I'm about 50% at 100 yds but the gun is more accurate than I
am.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Or some other racoon. It's like trying to make a hole in the
lake by taking buckets of water from one side of the boat,
and pour out the other side of the boat.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
news
If you only take a raccoon a few miles away he will be back
in a day
or two.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:

So here I am on the deck with a couple of wild rodents playing
nice-nice and two feet away on the other side of the window glass are
the two cats going Alien balistic with that hunting chatter they do
with their mouth. I don't think it was the cooking that they were
interested in.

Why do you like to torture cats?

God provided us with cats and Aggies so we could have something safe to
torment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , Don Wiss wrote:

I am now trying to relocate a squirrel that has mastered getting into my
squirrel-proof bird feeder. It took years before one figured it out

Sounds like you need The Yankee Flipper!

http://www.yankeeflipper.com

I've had one of those for about 8 years and it certainly does the job.
But the squirrels learn fast and about the only time we get to enjoy
seeing a squirrel flipped is in the spring when the next generation of
them goes through their learning process.

I mounted the solar panel from a photoelectric powered battery charger
on top of mine to keep the NiCads topped off, because it was a PIA to
have to go out and plug the factory supplied wall wart charger into it
every week or so. The "green" solar power works just fine.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Wiss wrote:
All the traps specify which animals they catch. One Amazon.com page* shows
three different sizes to cover all animals being sold as a package. But why
can't larger traps also be used for smaller animals?

* http://www.amazon.com/Havahart-1085-.../dp/B000H6JJEA

Wouldn't this one trap catch all size animals that are too big to get through
the mesh?

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Be careful about size and time.
We left a decent size trap out at night trying to catch a squirrel and
got a skunk. It did not seem to mind - no spraying - and animal control
came and let it loose.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Wiss wrote:
All the traps specify which animals they catch. One Amazon.com page* shows
three different sizes to cover all animals being sold as a package. But why
can't larger traps also be used for smaller animals?

* http://www.amazon.com/Havahart-1085-.../dp/B000H6JJEA

Wouldn't this one trap catch all size animals that are too big to get through
the mesh?

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

I've got one of the older traps with 2 doors specified for ground hogs.
Have caught numerous squirrels, groundhogs, possums, raccoons and one
skunk in it. Wish I had a slightly larger one as one annoying raccoon
was too big for it.

As others point out, laws on trapping, relocating and killing the
animals vary and may vary between game and non-game animals.

I heard trap and release was illegal in my county but once released a
squirrel in the presence of a county cop and he said nothing about it.
Apparently it is OK here to trap and kill and I have a neighbor that
drowns ground hogs caught in his Havahart. Figure that out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 09:18:43 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I presume you're aware that the folks in Lake George have a
racoon problem. They have been relocating to your town.

They wouldn't do that. It is illegal. They just shoot the possibly
rabid raccoon and the guy who brung it.

Jim
[honestly- any 'animal control officer' who relocates a raccoon from
NYC or its environs *ought* to be shot.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/cd/cdrab-borough.shtml ]
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 4, 5:55*pm, Red Green wrote:

snip

I don't like it or I don't understand it or it bothers me or it's in my
way or I'm scared of it, etc.; therefore, kill it.

Well, I guess it could be worse...I could think like that.

Most admirable tolerance.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

You can probably get a permit to kill nuisance animals-
or let an animal control officer take of them.
Seems silly to buy haveahart traps and then kill them.

It makes this a more selective process. You get to choose which
animals you want to kill and which you don't.
In my case, I kill the rats, turn the squirrels loose.

Many folks consider squirrels to be furry tailed rats.

My mother had that view, and I wish i had thought of a reply before
she died.

I think the difference between a rat and a squirrel is much like the
difference between an ugly girl and a pretty girl. And that's a big
difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You can probably get a permit to kill nuisance animals-
or let an animal control officer take of them.
Seems silly to buy haveahart traps and then kill them.

It makes this a more selective process. You get to choose which
animals you want to kill and which you don't.
In my case, I kill the rats, turn the squirrels loose.

Many folks consider squirrels to be furry tailed rats.

My mother had that view, and I wish i had thought of a reply before
she died.

I think the difference between a rat and a squirrel is much like the
difference between an ugly girl and a pretty girl. �And that's a big
difference.

no matter what you do more weill move into your now vacant area......

better to feed wildlife or at best ignore them

but do keep them out of your home, where they can do damage
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

You can probably get a permit to kill nuisance animals-
or let an animal control officer take of them.
Seems silly to buy haveahart traps and then kill them.

It makes this a more selective process. You get to choose which
animals you want to kill and which you don't.
In my case, I kill the rats, turn the squirrels loose.

Many folks consider squirrels to be furry tailed rats.

My mother had that view, and I wish i had thought of a reply before
she died.

I think the difference between a rat and a squirrel is much like the
difference between an ugly girl and a pretty girl. ?And that's a big
difference.

no matter what you do more weill move into your now vacant area......

better to feed wildlife or at best ignore them

but do keep them out of your home, where they can do damage

Squirrels or pretty girls?

Or both?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009, Frank wrote:

Apparently it is OK here to trap and kill and I have a neighbor that
drowns ground hogs caught in his Havahart. Figure that out.

Easy. Havahart traps are readily available. Drowning is mess free, no
blood. And a snap trap could leave the animal in pain for many hours.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 17:39:33 -0500, Don Wiss wrote:

* http://www.amazon.com/Havahart-1085-.../dp/B000H6JJEA

Wouldn't this one trap catch all size animals that are too big to get through
the mesh?

Amazing. When I posted this the price was $41.20. Now it is $61.99. I would
not have expected all the people here viewing the page to drive up the
price.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 19:02:05 -0500, Don Wiss
wrote:

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 17:39:33 -0500, Don Wiss wrote:

* http://www.amazon.com/Havahart-1085-.../dp/B000H6JJEA

Wouldn't this one trap catch all size animals that are too big to get through
the mesh?

Amazing. When I posted this the price was $41.20. Now it is $61.99. I would
not have expected all the people here viewing the page to drive up the
price.

Thr freight would probably kill you if you bought it online, but if
there is a Harbor Freight down there they are about $20 in mine about
every other week-

I have one that sat out all last summer & got a woodchuck, a possum,
and a couple rabbits out of the garden. It looks none the worse for
wear.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 19:02:05 -0500, Don Wiss wrote:

* http://www.amazon.com/Havahart-1085-.../dp/B000H6JJEA

Amazing. When I posted this the price was $41.20. Now it is $61.99. I would
not have expected all the people here viewing the page to drive up the
price.

Thr freight would probably kill you if you bought it online,

The new higher price includes free shipping. The $41.20 was clearly too
low. It was out of line with the discounts from list price on the other
Havaharts.

but if
there is a Harbor Freight down there they are about $20 in mine about
every other week-

I like its price of only $24.99! I like the spring loaded doors. There is a
decent sized plate to protect your hand when carrying it. I don't consider
it being collapsible a plus, but it could reduce shipping costs. The holes
though look like they could be too big to catch a squirrel.

But under it is one for squirrels for only $7.99! No guard below the handle
for that price.

Shipping charges are $6.99 for the small one, $7.99 for the large one or
both. So for $41 delivered I could have two traps.

Are you a fan of one or two doors?

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Wiss wrote:
On Thu, 05 Feb 2009, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

[honestly- any 'animal control officer' who relocates a raccoon from
NYC or its environs *ought* to be shot.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/cd/cdrab-borough.shtml ]

I like the page. I wonder why the animal care people told us we were
on our own for trapping and relocating the raccoons, and that we
couldn't kill it. Anyway it is nice to see that no squirrels have
been found rabid and my borough only had a bat.

I was reading the Amazon.com reviews for the six raccoon size Havahart
traps. Seems all of them get plenty of negative reviews for various
reasons. I see no point in it being collapsible, and some have had the
raccoon bend it an escape. Then the easy set and easy release
mechanism can break.

A friend argues that it needs peanut butter spread on the pan,
instead of seeds. A review also pointed out that this reduces the
eating the bait without setting the trap. My problem is the opposite.
The trap is sprung with no squirrel inside. As for mice and chipmunks
squeezing through the holes I have never seen them around here. One
thing the new traps have, which my 50 year old one doesn't, is spring
loaded doors. I'm thinking the fat squirrel's tail is keeping a door
open so it can get out.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Harbor Freight has these traps - much cheaper than the high-priced-spread.

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...trap&Submit=Go

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:gmesmr
:

You should stop on a bridge, and drop the animal into the
center of the flowing water.

Even more entertaining is hold the animal in your arms. Tie a cinder block
to yourself and toss it in the center of the flowing water. Animal goes to
shore. You go to Hell. Not THAT'S entertainment!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

All the traps specify which animals they catch. One Amazon.com page* shows
three different sizes to cover all animals being sold as a package. But why
can't larger traps also be used for smaller animals?

* http://www.amazon.com/Havahart-1085-.../dp/B000H6JJEA

Wouldn't this one trap catch all size animals that are too big to get through
the mesh?

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

I had to cover areas of the trap. Squirrels would reach through the
trap side to grab the bait. One time a possum squeezed into the trap.
It was so big the fur came through the trap and the possum was
square-shaped. I had to open both traps sides and push him out using
a toilet plunger. Also, I have seen some animals with blood on their
limbs, desperately trying to escape. Never caught any groundhogs, I
guess they are leary of traps.