Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric Law

Default How to relocate a shed?

So I've found the garden shed of my dreams... for sale by a guy about a mile and a half down the street from me. The obvious
problem is how to transport it to my house. The shed is pretty large - 10 x 16 feet.

Ideas, anyone?

Thanks!

Eric Law

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

Easiest way is to support it on the side by digging down three feet and
pouring a concrete footer (maybe deeper depending on the frost line).
Then attach heavy ledger boards to the support structure with lag
bolts. Once everything is secure, begin digging under the shed so that
you can drive a car or a truck underneath it. I usually use a Jaguar
since the roof line is low (saves digging). Tie the shed to the roof
and drive out. Reverse the process at the destination.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken

Eric Law wrote:
So I've found the garden shed of my dreams... for sale by a guy about a mile and a half down the street from me. The obvious
problem is how to transport it to my house. The shed is pretty large - 10 x 16 feet.

Ideas, anyone?

Thanks!

Eric Law

Flatbed truck used to tow broken down cars?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Grumman-581

On 1 May 2006 05:27:02 -0700, "RayV" wrote:
snip-tounge-in-cheek-humor

Seriously though, it's going to depend a lot on what sort of access he
has to both sites... If there is room enough to move a large flatbed
trailer or truck into the two areas, and nothing that might be hit
once the shed is put on top of the trailer and headed towards its new
home, it might work... He'll need to jack up the shed with some
hydraulic jacks... Use some cinder blocks as supports, 2 on each layer
rotated perpendicular to the previous layer... Jack up one corner a
bit, but something under it... Work his way around to the other three
corners... Might have to put a large timber underneath the sides,
perpendicular to the floor joists, depending on how the shed is
constructed...

If he only needed to move it a short distance, he could put some poles
underneath it and roll it on top of them... That's how I moved my gun
safe between houses... It's around 1500 lbs and I can move it by
myself -- you just take it a couple of inches at a time... Going up
the couple of steps between the sidewalk and the level of the house is
a slow process though...
Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

Stop at one of those places that sell pre-built sheds and find out who
they use to deliver them or ask what they would charge to move it.

How tall is it? overhead wires? bridges?

http://www.larmonhousemovers.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric Law

Only Jaguar I have available is a convertible - would that be okay?

"RayV" wrote in message oups.com...
I usually use a Jaguar

Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric Law

I thought about that but was worried about the width. Most flatbeds I've seen look like they're 7 or 8 ft. wide, and the
shed is 10 ft.

Maybe I'll call a towing company and ask...

Eric

"Ken" wrote in message oups.com...

Eric Law wrote:
So I've found the garden shed of my dreams... for sale by a guy about a mile and a half down the street from me. The
obvious
problem is how to transport it to my house. The shed is pretty large - 10 x 16 feet.

Ideas, anyone?

Thanks!

Eric Law

Flatbed truck used to tow broken down cars?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K

Eric Law wrote:
So I've found the garden shed of my dreams... for sale by a guy about a mile and a half down the street from me. The obvious
problem is how to transport it to my house. The shed is pretty large - 10 x 16 feet.

Ideas, anyone?

Thanks!

Eric Law

If it is a metal shed, dismantle and reassemble. Yep, time and labor
intensive but cheap.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

Eric Law wrote:

I thought about that but was worried about the width. Most flatbeds I've seen look like they're 7 or 8 ft. wide, and the
shed is 10 ft.

Maybe I'll call a towing company and ask...

Eric

It depends on how the shed is built. If it has a fully framed floor
structure it should support the 1' overhang on each side for the
typical 8.5' or so flatbed.

If the shed does not have a floor structure you'll need to build a
support system, probably with 10' 4x4s to support and anchor the walls.
This also complicates dragging it up onto the flatbed, so you'll need
some 2x runners attached along the bottom of the 4x4s, probably three
2x4 "skis" would work to provide a sliding surface.

Pete C.

Eric Law wrote:
So I've found the garden shed of my dreams... for sale by a guy about a mile and a half down the street from me. The
obvious
problem is how to transport it to my house. The shed is pretty large - 10 x 16 feet.

Ideas, anyone?

Thanks!

Eric Law

Flatbed truck used to tow broken down cars?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Grumman-581

On Mon, 1 May 2006 09:56:41 -0400, "Eric Law"
wrote:

I thought about that but was worried about the width. Most flatbeds I've seen look like they're 7 or 8 ft. wide, and the
shed is 10 ft.

So, you take it *very* slowly...
Posted to alt.home.repair
kevin

There was an article that you might like to read, but seems not to be
available online any more. Here is a cached copy describing a
garage-moving project

http://www.cs.cornell.edu/~kwalsh/ho...g_garage_1.htm

There are permits that need to be obtained to move something like this,
usually. But I have certainly heard of people just moving buildings
around at say, 4AM on a sunday morning, and hoping to not cause too
much disturbance. 10 feet takes up pretty much all the way to the
center line of most roads, so at least you won't be completely blocking
all traffic.

Go slow. Real slow -- go ahead and take an hour to do your 1.5 miles if
you need to. Plan. Drive the route, make sure there are no overhead
lines (telephone, power, cable, etc.) or trees in the way. Do not,
under any circumstances, attempt to move, raise, touch, push, or
disturb any overhead lines. High power lines are not to be messed with,
not even with a long 2x4 (as I believe has gotten some people killed).
If wires need to be raised/moved/etc., then plan on having the power
company move or raise them for you, plan on paying for it, and plan on
getting all the necessary permits and whatnot.

-Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Mon, 1 May 2006 08:11:48 -0400, "Eric Law"
wrote:

So I've found the garden shed of my dreams... for sale by a guy about a mile and a half down the street from me. The obvious
problem is how to transport it to my house. The shed is pretty large - 10 x 16 feet.

Does the thing have a floor? If so, jack it up,
back a trailer under it, lower it down. Drive slowly
away. What's the problem?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence

Eric Law wrote:
So I've found the garden shed of my dreams... for sale by a guy about a mile and a half down the street from me. The obvious
problem is how to transport it to my house. The shed is pretty large - 10 x 16 feet.

Ideas, anyone?

Thanks!

Eric Law

If you had performed a search you would have found there are already
many posts on this topic. here is a link to the search results:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&q=moving+shed

here is a link to a useful thread that I contributed to on this topic:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.w...3317b3172c15a9

Here are some good quotes from that thread:

"I was able to hire someone to move it for me. I
just looked in the phone book under house movers. I was able to hire a

guy to move my big shed 250 miles to my new location, no problem. For
someone who is used to moving houses, a shed is a non-event."

"In my area, if you have a shed on skids . . . any tilt-back wrecker
company
will move it for you at the same rate as towing a car . . . One guy
here
says he would rather move an eight by ten shed than a full size pick-up
.. .
.. Basically a dollar a mile . . . . I would line up a wrecker/mover and

build with the intent for it to fit on a tilt-back wrecker . . . this
way
you are not limited to one hauler down the road . . . . My brother
builds
large iron gates and has them moved this way . . . . he has a large
wooden
skid, builds the gate on it, then calls the wrecker . . . cheaper than
trucking company & most of these guys are independents and price is
very
negotiable . . . "

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rudy

So I've found the garden shed of my dreams... for sale by a guy about a
mile and a half down the street from me. The obvious problem is how to
transport it to my house. The shed is pretty large - 10 x 16 feet.

Depends on how it was built. If its modular at all, the sides may come
apart in one piece, also the roof. Check it out:

We bought a park model trailer that came with a 10X14 aluminum shed. We had
to move the whole set-up 2 miles.
I noted the way that the shed was put together. It was 2X2 framing
w/aluminum siding. 4" long screws held the sides/ends together and also to
the 2X4 base and the roof also. The lack of nails or staples made it a snap
to dismantle.

It all came apart nicely into 5 large pieces plus the floor. Laid the 5 pc
into the pickup for the first trip.
Floor across the siderails of the p/u bed, 2X4 s under, for the second.

BTW, The RV mover Pros moved the 12' X 34' park model the 2 miles for $
250.00

Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband

Eric,

So I've found the garden shed of my dreams... for sale by a guy about
a mile and a half down the street from me. The obvious problem is how
to transport it to my house. The shed is pretty large - 10 x 16 feet.

I moved an 8x12 shed last summer. It was built on a concrete slab, so I
bolted some 2x6's along the studs inside for lifting points, and a couple
of long 2x4's across both diagonals to keep the bottom square. Then I used
a 4x6 beam and an automotive floor jack to lift it up off the slab, and a
reciprocating saw to cut away the anchor bolts. For "skids" I just bolted a
2x6 under each of the 12' sides. I bolted another 2x6 across the front of
the two skids so I'd have something to pull with. By the way, I used
Simpson strong drive screws for bolting everything together. Easy to drive
in and remove with a drill/driver.

I didn't have a truck, but was renting a Bobcat to do some landscaping
work. I hooked a couple of chains to the bucket of the Bobcat, and attached
them to each side of the 2x6 along the front. Then I lifted the bucket
slightly, just to raise the skids up out of the dirt, and start moving
backwards slowly.

I moved very slowly just to be safe, but I was surprised by how easily, and
how smoothly, I was able to drag the shed to it's new location (about 80'
on the other side of the house.

The Bobcat also worked great for busting up and carting off the old slab.

I jacked the shed up at it's new location, poured a new slab underneath,
and lowered the shed back down. It worked great and we were able to recycle
the shed rather than build a new one.

Your shed is larger, and the distance farther, but the same techniques
should work for you if scaled up a bit.

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Convertible is better. Cause with the top down, you can rest a 4 x 4
beam across the back seat, side to side.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Eric Law" wrote in message
m...
Only Jaguar I have available is a convertible - would that be okay?

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...
I usually use a Jaguar

Wiring the garden shed Declan UK diy 1 January 9th 06 11:34 AM
More shed electrical questions... (long explanation) Larry Fishel Home Repair 2 December 27th 05 08:59 PM
Shed wiring - OK [email protected] UK diy 5 April 13th 05 09:49 AM
Shed Electrics Paul UK diy 15 May 22nd 04 12:48 PM
On the subject of a garden shed Andrew McKay UK diy 3 August 27th 03 04:31 PM