Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Relocate HVAC?

Currently my HVAC is located in the crawlspace of my house. The house
is only about 1350 square feet and is a ranch with attached garage. For
a period of time we had some moisture problems in the crawl that you
can tell by looking at the unit has caused corrosion and today when I
replaced the filter I noticed some mold on the outside of the
evaporator. The moisture problems have been corrected, but I don't like
the idea of mold being around the a/c.

I really want to replace the unit and get it out of the crawlspace so
we can have better indoor air quality and so it is not so much of a
pain to change the filter.

Any suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

wrote in message
ups.com...
Currently my HVAC is located in the crawlspace of my house. The house
is only about 1350 square feet and is a ranch with attached garage. For
a period of time we had some moisture problems in the crawl that you
can tell by looking at the unit has caused corrosion and today when I
replaced the filter I noticed some mold on the outside of the
evaporator. The moisture problems have been corrected, but I don't like
the idea of mold being around the a/c.

I really want to replace the unit and get it out of the crawlspace so
we can have better indoor air quality and so it is not so much of a
pain to change the filter.

Agreed, crawl-mounted HVAC units are a sick joke by the builder on the poor
SOB who has to maintain the thing. Unless your yard, house design, and
budget can stand a lean-to addition on the back for a mechanical room, only
other choices are the attic, or give up a closet in the existing house. Hard
and expensive part will be figuring out how and where to re-route all the
ductwork, since those are probably also in the crawl.

Simplest solution, if you truly have fixed the moisture problem, and if
local groundwater and soil conditions allow, is a 'mini basement' with an
outside door tall enough to almost walk through. IOW, at least 54" tall. Not
difficult to engineer, basically dig an oversize window well with steps
where current scuttle hole is, add a lintel if you want to go wider than the
existing scuttle hole, and cut and install a door. Once that is done, start
hand-digging a bucket at a time, pour a half-ass slab in the bottom, and lay
up some retaining walls strong enough to keep the dirt back. Maybe a sump
pit and a pump in the corner just in case water comes back. Around here,
they were quite common on retrofitted houses 50 years ago. Once all this is
in place, you can put a normal furnace down there when this one goes
belly-up.

aem sends...