Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Relocate HVAC?

wrote:
Currently my HVAC is located in the crawlspace of my house. The house
is only about 1350 square feet and is a ranch with attached garage. For
a period of time we had some moisture problems in the crawl that you
can tell by looking at the unit has caused corrosion and today when I
replaced the filter I noticed some mold on the outside of the
evaporator. The moisture problems have been corrected, but I don't like
the idea of mold being around the a/c.

I really want to replace the unit and get it out of the crawlspace so
we can have better indoor air quality and so it is not so much of a
pain to change the filter.

Any suggestions?

If you are replacing a filter on the unit, it must be the air handler,
and so connected to duct work.
If it is part of a split system, the relocated AHU (air handling unit)
will have to connect to both.
The duct work will be difficult to relocate, so look at the location
where it enters the building envelope to see if there is room for the
AHU.
TB