Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cutting in edges with a brush

Here's one that's been bugging me for a while.

When I paint a room, I cut in the edges and corners with a brush. The
edges always look streaky and discolored compared to the rest of the
wall.

Using name brand paint and a narrow high-dollar brush. I'm not saying
which paint because someone will inevitably say, "Well there's your
problem right there... Brand XXX paint is no good. Get brand YYY."

You've got this beautiful roller texture up to about 1" from the edge,
then spooge. Even cutting in with 5-6 coats vs. 1-2 with the roller on
the rest of the wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Here's one that's been bugging me for a while.

When I paint a room, I cut in the edges and corners with a brush. The
edges always look streaky and discolored compared to the rest of the
wall.

Using name brand paint and a narrow high-dollar brush. I'm not saying
which paint because someone will inevitably say, "Well there's your
problem right there... Brand XXX paint is no good. Get brand YYY."

You've got this beautiful roller texture up to about 1" from the edge,
then spooge. Even cutting in with 5-6 coats vs. 1-2 with the roller on
the rest of the wall.

The effect you describe is called "hatbanding".

1. Streaking indicates insufficient coverage. Use a wider brush and
load it heavier. I like a 2"-4" sash brush. Sash brushes tend to have a
tapered end which feathers out better than a blunt end, letting you
control the edge better. After you put the paint on, drag the very end
of the hairs very lightly through the paint. This is called "tipping
off".

2. Run the the roller horizontally as close to the corner as you can
get it without putting paint on the ceiling. Make sure you have plenty
of paint on the roller. With practice and a good roller cover, you can
get within 1/4" of the corner.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 1:57*pm, wrote:
Here's one that's been bugging me for a while.

When I paint a room, I cut in the edges and corners with a brush. The
edges always look streaky and discolored compared to the rest of the
wall.

Using name brand paint and a narrow high-dollar brush. I'm not saying
which paint because someone will inevitably say, "Well there's your
problem right there... Brand XXX paint is no good. Get brand YYY."

You've got this beautiful roller texture up to about 1" from the edge,
then spooge. Even cutting in with 5-6 coats vs. 1-2 with the roller on
the rest of the wall.

Then put paint on heavier or twice until you get better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 21:13:34 +0000 (UTC), "SteveBell"
wrote:

1. Streaking indicates insufficient coverage. Use a wider brush and
load it heavier. I like a 2"-4" sash brush. Sash brushes tend to have a
tapered end which feathers out better than a blunt end, letting you
control the edge better. After you put the paint on, drag the very end
of the hairs very lightly through the paint. This is called "tipping
off".

2. Run the the roller horizontally as close to the corner as you can
get it without putting paint on the ceiling. Make sure you have plenty
of paint on the roller. With practice and a good roller cover, you can
get within 1/4" of the corner.

Two good points you made here. Both excellent.

- load the brush

- plenty of paint on the roller.

The brush has a "cup" at the metal band and handle, just at the
fibers. Many people dip into the paint and wipe if off on the side of
the container. That unloads the brush.

Over working a roller in the pan or on the wall is also a problem.

(I say, let's get the paint on the wall first, make it look pretty in
a few minutes.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 15:53:06 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Next time, try one of those edge painters with the little wheels.

I bought some of these one day. My helping friend said: "If I knew
about these 20 years ago I would've been a Painter".

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in news:08a874b1-403d-47a5-87f8-
:

Here's one that's been bugging me for a while.

When I paint a room, I cut in the edges and corners with a brush. The
edges always look streaky and discolored compared to the rest of the
wall.

I assume you mean after everything has dried overnight. Different
thicknesses of paint of course dry at different rates. The color of paint
varies with how dry it is. Wait at least 4hrs before declaring anything a
F.U. Overnight is best.

Using name brand paint and a narrow high-dollar brush. I'm not saying
which paint because someone will inevitably say, "Well there's your
problem right there... Brand XXX paint is no good. Get brand YYY."

You've got this beautiful roller texture up to about 1" from the edge,
then spooge. Even cutting in with 5-6 coats vs. 1-2 with the roller on
the rest of the wall.

Along with the other suggestions I'll toss in a couple. Make sure it's a
good quality angled sash brush. Holds paint better. 2.5" is ideal, for me
anyway. Holds plenty of paint and because it's good quality it retains
it's edge well for many years. That is providing it is cleaned between
uses and not allowed to cake up while in use.

Try running a band like 1/4"-1/2" away from the edge of each stroke/run.
Reload brush and trim to edge like normal. To me, this tends to keep the
paint on the wall vs sucking all the paint off the brush.

Feather the edge of the trim strip down the wall so there is no defined
line.

Oh, and insure you stir that paint before trimming. Don't just open the
can and start painting because it was just stirred/shaken 12 hrs ago.
I've noticed a lot lately that even decent quality paints seem to
separate rather quickly in the can.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Here's one that's been bugging me for a while.

When I paint a room, I cut in the edges and corners with a brush. The
edges always look streaky and discolored compared to the rest of the
wall.

Using name brand paint and a narrow high-dollar brush. I'm not saying
which paint because someone will inevitably say, "Well there's your
problem right there... Brand XXX paint is no good. Get brand YYY."

You've got this beautiful roller texture up to about 1" from the edge,
then spooge. Even cutting in with 5-6 coats vs. 1-2 with the roller on
the rest of the wall.

Cutting in is always the PITA of the job. I use a tapered 1.5" brush, but
the angle of the brush, the stroke of the hand, and the load of the brush is
the critical part. I could show you in one minute, but couldn't tell you
here with a thousand words. Get a GOOD brush that is angled two ways. One
so that the end is not perpendicular to the shaft, and the other that the
bristles are cut in a vee when looking at the brush sideways. Not
particularly expensive, but about $10. Really worth it once you learn how
to use it. Load a good amount of paint into it, and reload when it starts
to put a weak line out. Work downward on vertical corners, and from
dominant side to undominant side: right to left for a right hander, opposite
for leftie. Lastly, you can put a pretty straight line in every corner with
one of these, and leave 1.5" painted so you don't even have to come close
with the roller.

I should put this on youtube.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in
:

wrote in message
.
..
[...]

Yea you should. Do they show how many people view it? Bet there would be
a bunch of hits. Then a bunch of people who would try it. Then a bunch of
people who F it up even though you make it look so easy. Then a bunch of
people who want to hit you.

Then I post a YT saying how I saw yours, tried it and it came out so
great on my [ahh, emmm] "first try". Show my brush zipping along a
wall/ceiling junction.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveBell" wrote in message
a.org...

[...]

Ditto...Get yourself a 2 and a half inch Purdy Sash brush and follow Steve's
instructions....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 21:42:01 -0500, "benick"
wrote:

Ditto...Get yourself a 2 and a half inch Purdy Sash brush and follow Steve's
instructions....

Hide the brush from the new bride. Save it for later and never, ever
let her damage it. Clean it youself.

...the top secret paint brush.. just hide it away for the time being.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
:

wrote:

Ditto...Get yourself a 2 and a half inch Purdy Sash brush and follow
Steve's instructions....

Hide the brush from the new bride. Save it for later and never, ever
let her damage it. Clean it youself.

..the top secret paint brush.. just hide it away for the time being.

Put it in a box and mark it "Used Mouse Traps". She'll probably never touch
it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ditto...Get yourself a 2 and a half inch Purdy Sash brush and follow
Steve's
instructions....

Hide the brush from the new bride. Save it for later and never, ever
let her damage it. Clean it youself.

..the top secret paint brush.. just hide it away for the time being.

Why are women obsessive compulsive about cleaning everything but a paint
brush?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ditto...Get yourself a 2 and a half inch Purdy Sash brush and follow
Steve's
instructions....

Hide the brush from the new bride. Save it for later and never, ever
let her damage it. Clean it youself.

..the top secret paint brush.. just hide it away for the time being.

Why are women obsessive compulsive about cleaning everything but a paint
brush?

Steve

So true..I keep my collection of Purdy Brushes hidden on the TOP shelf in
the garage...LOL...She's only 5' 2"....I bought her some of her own at
HD....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
"SteveB" wrote in
:

wrote in message
.
..
[...]

Knew there was a reason I preferred to cover everything with the same
semi-flat white- no transitions, no problems....

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

Boy oh boy. All these gizmos. Corner rollers, pads with wheels, funny
looking foam brushes, As Seen on TV stuff, etc.

If it isn't painted with a roller it gets painted with a brush. Hell,
I even painted an old pickup of mine with a brush and Rustoleum Rusty
Metal Primer. Dries fast if ya take a ride on the interstate. OK so
it gets a little textured. Sure, I could have used spray cans or a
roller but that wouldn't have been as much fun.

Reminds me of a tip:

If at all possible, select the target color from the vast selection of spray
paints at the box store. Spray some on a (free) wooden store-proved
paint-stirring stick. Give the stick to the clerk and ask for some gallons
of paint to match.

Thereafter, when some touch-up is necessary, it's a simple matter to shake
and squirt rather than all the fussing necessary with congealed paint,
another trip to the paint store, brushes, clean-up etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 2:57*pm, wrote:
Here's one that's been bugging me for a while.

When I paint a room, I cut in the edges and corners with a brush. The
edges always look streaky and discolored compared to the rest of the
wall.

Using name brand paint and a narrow high-dollar brush. I'm not saying
which paint because someone will inevitably say, "Well there's your
problem right there... Brand XXX paint is no good. Get brand YYY."

You've got this beautiful roller texture up to about 1" from the edge,
then spooge. Even cutting in with 5-6 coats vs. 1-2 with the roller on
the rest of the wall.

Is it possible you're taking too long after cutting in the corner with
the brush to hit it with the roller? One of the mistakes I used to
make was cutting in all my edges and corners and then going back and
rolling, which always-always-always gave me the finish you describe.
One way to tackle it is to cut the corner or edge quickly, then
immediately roll that area. Tag-team painting with someone else will
make this an order of magnitude easier.

And, to reinforce what others have said, don't be afraid to put a
little paint on the wall. Heavier is betters, especially since you'll
be going over it with a roller to even it out.

You are more likely to get this look using colors as opposed to beige-
eggshell-antique white, and more likely to see it with satin and
eggshell finishes than with flat. I know from recent experience that
shinier finishes show every stinking flaw, missed drip, ding in the
wall...grrr. It frustrates a perfectionist like me, which drives my
wife crazy with my constant wanting to "fix it". We just have to live
with our flaws.

For post-ers who suggested using the sponge pad with wheels, remember,
that's fine for the top of the wall where it meets the ceiling, but
won't work in corners. Even if the whiskery bristles on the pad make
it all the way to the corner, when you turn the corner the wheels will
get paint on them from the wall you just painted.

An alternative to using an edger is to put up a border. No, I'm not
suggesting wallpaper! (shudder). But if you have the inclination, some
stenciling looks particularly cool in certain room situations.

And take solace in knowing the more you paint, the more comfortable
you'll get running the roller right up to the corner or edge and
getting a nice, tight rolled finish.
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Red Green wrote:
[...]

No need to go to all of that trouble...just choose a paint, any kind:
latex, alkyd, gloss, flat. Buy a Preval sprayer, cost about $4. The
sprayer comes as a kit, and additional air cannisters can be purchased.
The jar is 8 oz. and comes with a separate lid for storing paint. Nice
for finer work, like louvers, and for craft projects. Need to thin
paint slightly to use in the sprayer. I used the Preval when I
repainted a very old range hood - Rustoleum enamel, looks like new.
Painted in place, with a little bit of aluminum foil and plastic to
shield the surrounding cabinets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ditto...Get yourself a 2 and a half inch Purdy Sash brush and follow Steve's
instructions....

Hide the brush from the new bride. Save it for later and never, ever
let her damage it. Clean it youself.

..the top secret paint brush.. just hide it away for the time being.

Hmpf. I hide my Purdy brushes from my husband.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 1:57*pm, wrote:
Here's one that's been bugging me for a while.

When I paint a room, I cut in the edges and corners with a brush. The
edges always look streaky and discolored compared to the rest of the
wall.

Using name brand paint and a narrow high-dollar brush. I'm not saying
which paint because someone will inevitably say, "Well there's your
problem right there... Brand XXX paint is no good. Get brand YYY."

You've got this beautiful roller texture up to about 1" from the edge,
then spooge. Even cutting in with 5-6 coats vs. 1-2 with the roller on
the rest of the wall.

Taking the time to mask all the woodwork in a room actually makes the
overall job time decrease for these reasons:

1) You can do the cuts in without having to be careful about the
woodwork
2) You can roll within a quarter inch of the trim or sometimes right
up to the trim depending on the trim shape faster, looks better
3) If you are leaving the ceiling white oodles of time is saved
4) Less time having to grab the rag to wipe drips off the woodwork

I fire any painters that want to come do my jobs and they dont bother
mask fully all the wood work edges. Nothing ****es me off more
painting-wise than when the lines where wood meets wall are not
absolutely perfectly straight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/4/2009 7:45 PM SteveB spake thus:

wrote:

Ditto...Get yourself a 2 and a half inch Purdy Sash brush and follow
Steve's instructions....

Hide the brush from the new bride. Save it for later and never, ever
let her damage it. Clean it youself.

..the top secret paint brush.. just hide it away for the time being.

Why are women obsessive compulsive about cleaning everything but a paint
brush?

Enough with the stupid gender stereotypes.

I have a client who's not only a better painter than I, but also takes
better care of her paintbrushes (and I take pretty damn good care of mine).

--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it
upgrades. As long as there is hardware and software out there that

- lifted from sci.electronics.repair

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 4, 1:57*pm, wrote:
Here's one that's been bugging me for a while.

When I paint a room, I cut in the edges and corners with a brush. The
edges always look streaky and discolored compared to the rest of the
wall.

Using name brand paint and a narrow high-dollar brush. I'm not saying
which paint because someone will inevitably say, "Well there's your
problem right there... Brand XXX paint is no good. Get brand YYY."

You've got this beautiful roller texture up to about 1" from the edge,
then spooge. Even cutting in with 5-6 coats vs. 1-2 with the roller on
the rest of the wall.

Excellent tips in this discussion. Might add one more item, when
nothing seems to help the situation, try using some Penetrol with oil
based or Floetrol with latex products. There are times when
temperatures and humidity, whatever, conspire against a good job. pros
in our area are very fond of these for speeding the job along.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 4:13*pm, "SteveBell" wrote:
The effect you describe is called "hatbanding".

At least I know what to call it.

1. Streaking indicates insufficient coverage. Use a wider brush and
load it heavier. I like a 2"-4" sash brush. Sash brushes tend to have a
tapered end which feathers out better than a blunt end, letting you
control the edge better. After you put the paint on, drag the very end
of the hairs very lightly through the paint. This is called "tipping
off".

As I said earlier in my post, SEVERAL COATS above and beyond the rest
of the wall and I still have the effect. I'm slobbering on as much
paint as will stick without running.

Dragging the end of the brush lightly through the paint only
accentuates the problem. Leaves streaks.

2. Run the the roller horizontally as close to the corner as you can
get it without putting paint on the ceiling. Make sure you have plenty
of paint on the roller. With practice and a good roller cover, you can
get within 1/4" of the corner.

Even at 1/4" I still get the effect, and painting that close I'm too
much of a spaz to keep from getting paint on the adjoining wall or
ceiling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Why are women obsessive compulsive about cleaning everything but a
paint brush?

Enough with the stupid gender stereotypes.

I have a client who's not only a better painter than I, but also takes
better care of her paintbrushes (and I take pretty damn good care of
mine).

Stereotypes - gender or otherwise - allow you to see the forest instead of a
million individual trees.

If you ask a typical female to describe a "sensuous" experience, high on the
list will be a bubble-bath with enough incense and candles to make one think
the tub was a religious shrine.

Ask a man the same thing, and he'll say a hunting trip in the woods with no
bathing and shaving (or even changing clothes) for a week.

Women are fundamentally CLEAN creatures; Men are genetically dirty, smelly
animals.

There are exceptions, such as happily married men.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Red Green wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the tip -- Neat product.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Red Green wrote:
[...]

In fact, to get back to the original topic, one could use the Preval device
to cut in corners. Simply hold a bit of carboard over the area not to be
painted, and spray away!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in message

wrote:

Ditto...Get yourself a 2 and a half inch Purdy Sash brush and follow
Steve's
instructions....

Hide the brush from the new bride. Save it for later and never, ever
let her damage it. Clean it youself.

..the top secret paint brush.. just hide it away for the time being.

Why are women obsessive compulsive about cleaning everything but a paint
brush?

Steve

So true..I keep my collection of Purdy Brushes hidden on the TOP shelf in
the garage...LOL...She's only 5' 2"....I bought her some of her own at
HD....

That is hilarious. My wife is 5'0". Whenever I want to hide ANYTHING from
her, I just put it above eye level. I could sit a pinata on top of the
fridge, and she'd NEVER notice it. And I've told her that I hide things up.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 21:42:01 -0500, "benick"
wrote:

"SteveBell" wrote in message
la.org...

[...]

ANd make sure you are using the RIGHT kind of bristles. DO NOT use a
natural bristle brush with Latex. You want a good synthetic brush with
"flagged" tips -the end of the bristle has "split ends".
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ditto...Get yourself a 2 and a half inch Purdy Sash brush and follow Steve's
instructions....

Hide the brush from the new bride. Save it for later and never, ever
let her damage it. Clean it youself.

..the top secret paint brush.. just hide it away for the time being.

Paint pads work pretty good for "cutting in" too, as do foam corner
rollers (not so good for edging to the ceiling)
When we did the last painting at our place we used an edger pad, which
left about 1/16 to 1/8" unpainted next to the (popcorn textured)
ceiling - then I just went around with an artist's brush (polyester
watercolour brush, not sable) and finished it up. When it was all dry
you couldn't see it at all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 10:11:10 -0500, "
wrote:

HeyBub wrote:
Red Green wrote:
[...]

For half the cost of the air cans to do a relatively small job you
can buy a cheap compressor and a decent airbrush. The preval is/was a
dissapointment. Ofter putting about 2 or 3 cans of propellant through
it I bought a cheap Badger hobby airbrush and a fitting to connect it
to a tire. Used my set of snow-tires for most of an afternoon's detail
painting.

I now have a compressor with a 15 gallon tank, and a Princess Auto
(kinda like Northern Tool) touchup gun. Painted all my shutters, the
front door, and the garage door this past summer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 1:57�pm, wrote:
Here's one that's been bugging me for a while.

When I paint a room, I cut in the edges and corners with a brush. The
edges always look streaky and discolored compared to the rest of the
wall.

Using name brand paint and a narrow high-dollar brush. I'm not saying
which paint because someone will inevitably say, "Well there's your
problem right there... Brand XXX paint is no good. Get brand YYY."

You've got this beautiful roller texture up to about 1" from the edge,
then spooge. Even cutting in with 5-6 coats vs. 1-2 with the roller on
the rest of the wall.

For what its worth, I was surprised tio find that the one product I
used for corners (especially eilings) that was easier than anything
else, and actually effective, was called a "SHUR Roller" (I hope I got
the name right). It is a pretty gimmicky-looking thing. It has a
guard that flips into place next to a 2.5"-3" roller after you load
it, and you run your corner. It gives a roller finish and a crisp
edge of you're careful with it.

It looks like an "As Seen On TV" product, but I was very impressed
with my own results. More important, my wife was impressed as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 4:13*pm, "SteveBell" wrote:
The effect you describe is called "hatbanding".

At least I know what to call it.

1. Streaking indicates insufficient coverage. Use a wider brush and
load it heavier. I like a 2"-4" sash brush. Sash brushes tend to
have a tapered end which feathers out better than a blunt end,
letting you control the edge better. After you put the paint on,
drag the very end of the hairs very lightly through the paint.
This is called "tipping off".

As I said earlier in my post, SEVERAL COATS above and beyond the rest
of the wall and I still have the effect. I'm slobbering on as much
paint as will stick without running.

Dragging the end of the brush lightly through the paint only
accentuates the problem. Leaves streaks.

Oh. We have a terminology conflict. What you're calling streaks are
actually brush marks. Streaks means (to me) that you can still see the
old color through the paint. If brush marks don't go away, your paint
is too thick. You can thin it a bit (_only_ a bit), or you can add
Floetrol (Penetrol for oil paint). Floetrol increases the surface
tension, thins the paint, and slows down the drying so the paint lies
down flatter, hiding the brush marks.

2. Run the the roller horizontally as close to the corner as you
can get it without putting paint on the ceiling. Make sure you
have plenty of paint on the roller. With practice and a good
roller cover, you can get within 1/4" of the corner.

Even at 1/4" I still get the effect, and painting that close I'm too
much of a spaz to keep from getting paint on the adjoining wall or
ceiling.

Well, a thinner paint will help some, but there's no way to completely
eliminate the hatbanding without using the same device to apply the
entire surface, whether it's a brush, a roller, or a sprayer.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article g,
"SteveBell" wrote:

If brush marks don't go away, your paint
is too thick.

Or you're working the paint too long.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cindy Hamilton wrote in
:

wrote:

Ditto...Get yourself a 2 and a half inch Purdy Sash brush and follow
Ste

ve's
instructions....

Hide the brush from the new bride. Save it for later and never, ever
let her damage it. Clean it youself.

..the top secret paint brush.. just hide it away for the time being.

Hmpf. I hide my Purdy brushes from my husband.

Cindy Hamilton

LOL, that's gotta hurt when we use them for Chip Brushes.