Andrew J Instone-Cowie

Default Cutting plywood - nice sharp edges?

Evening all...

Anyone got any hints on cutting plywood with nice clean, sharp,
straight edges on both sides? The best I've managed so far is to cut
it to within a few mm of the line with a jigsaw, then use the router
against a clamped straightedge. Good results, but very time-consuming!

TIA
Andrew

--
===================================
Address in news headers is not read
Andy Hall

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 19:28:47 +0000, Andrew J Instone-Cowie
wrote:

Evening all...

Anyone got any hints on cutting plywood with nice clean, sharp,
straight edges on both sides? The best I've managed so far is to cut
it to within a few mm of the line with a jigsaw, then use the router
against a clamped straightedge. Good results, but very time-consuming!

TIA
Andrew

A very fine plywood blade (lots of teeth) and scoring the surfaces, or
a table saw with scoring blade.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Dingley

wrote:

Anyone got any hints on cutting plywood with nice clean, sharp,
straight edges on both sides?

Get a sharp knife, like a marking knife (Axminster's Japanese ones,
for around a fiver) and score along the edges of the saw kerf before
cutting. Maybe score a little wider than this, if you can't guarantee
accuracy.

Use the right sawblade. Circular saws are supplied with combi blades
that are intended to crosscut 2x4s and even do some light ripping. If
all you ever use your handheld saw for are the initial cuts on a big
sheet of plywood or MDF, then it's worth getting a more appropriate
blade. It's especially useful on a Lucky Golden Hedgehog brand saw
from Happy Shopper.

Use birch plywood. Doesn't solve it, but the fibres are a lot less
brittle than rainforest plywood. You'll still have tears, but they're
less than 1/4" long. Give it a try, whenever you need some "nice"
plywood.
http://codesmiths.com/shed/furniture/gothic_chair.htm

Do it on a table saw with a scoring blade.

RichardS

"Andrew J Instone-Cowie" wrote in message
Evening all...

Anyone got any hints on cutting plywood with nice clean, sharp,
straight edges on both sides? The best I've managed so far is to cut
it to within a few mm of the line with a jigsaw, then use the router
against a clamped straightedge. Good results, but very time-consuming!

TIA
Andrew

Make up one of these...

http://members.aol.com/woodmiser1/sawbd.htm

Clamp it into position, then run down the straight edge with a sharp, sturdy
knife to sever the surface fibres.

Then cut with the circular saw.

Has been working with me when slicing up veneered MDF this summer.

cheers
Richard

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

BigWallop

"Andrew J Instone-Cowie" wrote in message
Evening all...

Anyone got any hints on cutting plywood with nice clean, sharp,
straight edges on both sides? The best I've managed so far is to cut
it to within a few mm of the line with a jigsaw, then use the router
against a clamped straightedge. Good results, but very time-consuming!

TIA
Andrew

Try scoring the ply with a modelling knife first then cut with a good hard
point hand saw. I personally only use a fine toothed wood or hacksaw jigsaw
blade to cut shapes in plywood and any straight cuts are done with a hand
saw.

The Natural Philosopher

Andy Dingley wrote:

Anyone got any hints on cutting plywood with nice clean, sharp,
straight edges on both sides?

Another trick not mentioned is to cut oversize and run a router along
the edge against a straight edge.

With a sharp curtter this can priduce a very clean edge indeed.

Its quite a faff tho getting the straight edge in place, and supporting
the router (or workpiece if you use a table router).

John Armstrong

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 08:57:28 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Another trick not mentioned is to cut oversize and run a router along
the edge against a straight edge.

Except it was mentioned by the OP.....