Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique

Default Routed MDF edges - BIN is BEST?

I've seen BIN from Zinsser recommended here as a good way to seal the
edges of MDF prior to painting. I've routed a profile (quirk and bead)
on some MDF and want to apply something that will either sand smooth
or, better yet, seal it smooth, before final painting.

Any other recommendations? Thanks.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique

David wrote:
Jay Pique wrote:

I've seen BIN from Zinsser recommended here as a good way to seal the
edges of MDF prior to painting. I've routed a profile (quirk and bead)
on some MDF and want to apply something that will either sand smooth
or, better yet, seal it smooth, before final painting.

Any other recommendations? Thanks.

JP

bondo

I'm hoping to avoid having to do too much reprofiling of the edge.
Would you suggest smearing it on, and then using the same bit to scrape
it off while wet?

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking
Paul Franklin

On 31 Mar 2006 15:27:56 -0800, "Jay Pique"
wrote:

I've seen BIN from Zinsser recommended here as a good way to seal the
edges of MDF prior to painting. I've routed a profile (quirk and bead)
on some MDF and want to apply something that will either sand smooth
or, better yet, seal it smooth, before final painting.

Any other recommendations? Thanks.

JP

Lightweight drywall joint compound works really well and is a lot
easier to sand smooth afterwards. Smear it on with a sponge or brush,
not too heavy, let it dry, and then give a light sanding. Prime and
paint and you're good to go.

HTH,

Paul