Drew Eckhardt

Default Hardwood edges arround veneered MDF/plywood)

I'd like to make some 3/4" doors using hardwood edges (probably red oak)
arround a veneered MDF or plywood middle (glued solidly to the edges, not
free floating as a raised panel).

How wide can the edges be before I run into seasonal problems?

--
a href="http://www.poohsticks.org/drew/"Home Page/a
9/11 was a premptive attack
Bruce

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 14:45:49 -0700, Drew Eckhardt wrote
(in article ):

I'd like to make some 3/4" doors using hardwood edges (probably red oak)
arround a veneered MDF or plywood middle (glued solidly to the edges, not
free floating as a raised panel).

How wide can the edges be before I run into seasonal problems?

I've seen David Marks do this on WWorks. His frame was about 3" if I remember
right. Look on diy.com for info

-Bruce

George

"Drew Eckhardt" wrote in message
I'd like to make some 3/4" doors using hardwood edges (probably red oak)
arround a veneered MDF or plywood middle (glued solidly to the edges, not
free floating as a raised panel).

How wide can the edges be before I run into seasonal problems?

You will always have "seasonal problems" if the RH varies. The question is
one of degree. You can determine the limits by consulting the tables at
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/tmu/publications.htm

This one includes good information on seasonal movement.
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf1999/cho99a.pdf

The way you overcome the problem is to plan for worst case and don't miter.

Old Nick

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 07:33:09 -0500, "George" george@least vaguely
proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

"Drew Eckhardt" wrote in message
I'd like to make some 3/4" doors using hardwood edges (probably red oak)
arround a veneered MDF or plywood middle (glued solidly to the edges, not
free floating as a raised panel).

How wide can the edges be before I run into seasonal problems?

You will always have "seasonal problems" if the RH varies. The question is
one of degree. You can determine the limits by consulting the tables at
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/tmu/publications.htm

This one includes good information on seasonal movement.
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf1999/cho99a.pdf

The way you overcome the problem is to plan for worst case

and don't miter.

and don't miter.

and don't miter.

GGG DAMHIKT. It simply pulls the whole thing to pieces. The only
alternative that I can see is some sort of flexible material in the
mitre joint, and make the joint quite wide.