Michael Roback

Default Kitchen Cab / Hardwood Installation HELP

I am remodeling and have hardwood floors going in later this week along with
kitchen cabinets. The hardwood guy just says to lay the floor and then
place the kitchen cabinets over the oak hardwood floor. I am concerned
about leaks and wonder if building a template out of plywood and installing
the cabinets over them and then bringing the hardwood flooring up to or
perhaps keep the plywood tucked back 1/2": or so, so the hardwood appears to
be under the cabs? The cabinet guy says the cabs do not have o be raised as
they hav a 4" toe kick and dropping the cab down 3/4" with hardwood around
it would leave a 3 1/4" toekick. The hardwood guy says this is too small!
Do I just place the cabs on hardwood floor. If so, isn't the hardwood
under he dishwasher more vulnerable to water. If I have to replace a board
and have the cabs sitting on the hardwood floor, how does one cut under the
toekick near the cabs? Help.

"Michael Roback" wrote in message thlink.net...
I am remodeling and have hardwood floors going in later this week along with
kitchen cabinets. The hardwood guy just says to lay the floor and then
place the kitchen cabinets over the oak hardwood floor. I am concerned
about leaks and wonder if building a template out of plywood and installing
the cabinets over them and then bringing the hardwood flooring up to or
perhaps keep the plywood tucked back 1/2": or so, so the hardwood appears to
be under the cabs? The cabinet guy says the cabs do not have o be raised as
they hav a 4" toe kick and dropping the cab down 3/4" with hardwood around
it would leave a 3 1/4" toekick. The hardwood guy says this is too small!
Do I just place the cabs on

If you are concerned about leaks, don't use wood floors in the
kitchen. Wood will always be vulnerable to spills, etc. However, if
your dishwasher is installed properly, there shouldn't be a problem
with leakage. I've never used wood in a kitchen or bathroom, for that
matter, but have used tile and I tile the entire room before
installing cabinets, etc. The only place I don't tile is under the
bathtub, for obvious reasons.