danders

Default How to screw drywall edges?

I'm having problems where the end of a sheet of drywall is screwed
into a stud. If I screw the edge down, it usually causes the drywall
to crumble and break away from the paper. I'm trying to keep as far
from the edge as I can, but it doesn't seem that 3/4 inch (when 2
sheets are butted up at 1 stud) is much to work with. I'm using 1 1/4
inch screws, and an drill attachment that limits the depth of the
screw. Do nails work better at the edges? Does anyone have any
advice on how to do this better?
Thanks!
Punch

"danders" wrote in message
om...
I'm having problems where the end of a sheet of drywall is screwed
into a stud. If I screw the edge down, it usually causes the drywall
to crumble and break away from the paper. I'm trying to keep as far
from the edge as I can, but it doesn't seem that 3/4 inch (when 2
sheets are butted up at 1 stud) is much to work with. I'm using 1 1/4
inch screws, and an drill attachment that limits the depth of the
screw. Do nails work better at the edges? Does anyone have any
advice on how to do this better?
Thanks!

you could always double up the 2x4 stud at the joints.

mpaulsen

danders wrote:
I'm having problems where the end of a sheet of drywall is screwed
into a stud. If I screw the edge down, it usually causes the drywall
to crumble and break away from the paper. I'm trying to keep as far
from the edge as I can, but it doesn't seem that 3/4 inch (when 2
sheets are butted up at 1 stud) is much to work with. I'm using 1 1/4
inch screws, and an drill attachment that limits the depth of the
screw. Do nails work better at the edges? Does anyone have any
advice on how to do this better?
Thanks!

Make sure you're using #6 1-1/4" course thread drywall screws. My guess
is that you're using #8 and the extra shaft diameter is causing the
problem. If you do have the proper screws, try using a low power
(9.6/12v) cordless drill with a regular 2" bit holder and see if you
have better luck.

Screws should be 3/8" from the edge of the rock, btw.

On 22 Nov 2004 21:10:27 -0800, (danders) wrote:

I'm having problems where the end of a sheet of drywall is screwed
into a stud. If I screw the edge down, it usually causes the drywall
to crumble and break away from the paper. I'm trying to keep as far
from the edge as I can, but it doesn't seem that 3/4 inch (when 2
sheets are butted up at 1 stud) is much to work with. I'm using 1 1/4
inch screws, and an drill attachment that limits the depth of the
screw. Do nails work better at the edges? Does anyone have any
advice on how to do this better?
Thanks!

This might be overly simplistic, but since you are keeping the
suggested 1/2" from the edge (
http://www.urlbee.com?354 ), then maybe
you are breaking the paper by going too deep( I know you said you were
at the correct dept, maybe a better correct dept with a smaller head
screw).

I was wondering, are you always getting a crumbly edge? Even on the
factory sealed edges? Maybe you have bad drywall, or drywall that was
exposed to too much mosture?

Sorry, very few answers just more questions. But another posters
suggestion of doubling up studs might be a faster way to get the
results you want.

later,

danders

I need to buy some more screws anyway, so I'll make sure I get the #6's. Thanks.