Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default cutting in edges with a brush

"SteveB" wrote in
:

wrote in message
.
..
Here's one that's been bugging me for a while.

When I paint a room, I cut in the edges and corners with a brush. The
edges always look streaky and discolored compared to the rest of the
wall.

Using name brand paint and a narrow high-dollar brush. I'm not saying
which paint because someone will inevitably say, "Well there's your
problem right there... Brand XXX paint is no good. Get brand YYY."

You've got this beautiful roller texture up to about 1" from the
edge, then spooge. Even cutting in with 5-6 coats vs. 1-2 with the
roller on the rest of the wall.

Cutting in is always the PITA of the job. I use a tapered 1.5" brush,
but the angle of the brush, the stroke of the hand, and the load of
the brush is the critical part. I could show you in one minute, but
couldn't tell you here with a thousand words. Get a GOOD brush that
is angled two ways. One so that the end is not perpendicular to the
shaft, and the other that the bristles are cut in a vee when looking
at the brush sideways. Not particularly expensive, but about $10.
Really worth it once you learn how to use it. Load a good amount of
paint into it, and reload when it starts to put a weak line out. Work
downward on vertical corners, and from dominant side to undominant
side: right to left for a right hander, opposite for leftie. Lastly,
you can put a pretty straight line in every corner with one of these,
and leave 1.5" painted so you don't even have to come close with the
roller.

I should put this on youtube.

Steve

Yea you should. Do they show how many people view it? Bet there would be
a bunch of hits. Then a bunch of people who would try it. Then a bunch of
people who F it up even though you make it look so easy. Then a bunch of
people who want to hit you.

Then I post a YT saying how I saw yours, tried it and it came out so
great on my [ahh, emmm] "first try". Show my brush zipping along a
wall/ceiling junction.