Posted to alt.home.repair

Default CFLs vs incandescent "max wattage" cautions in overhead fixtures....

The ceiling fixtures in our house all have labels indicating the maximum
wattage (incandescent) bulb to place in the fixture.

I assume this is a heat-based limit...

If I'm replacing the incandescents in one of these fixutures with
CFL's...which stay cool to the touch....are there any issues with going
to a higher light output in (say a CFL packaged with "75 watt"
incandescent output indicated on the package ?)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 14:25:15 -0500, ropeyarn wrote:

The ceiling fixtures in our house all have labels indicating the maximum
wattage (incandescent) bulb to place in the fixture.

I assume this is a heat-based limit...

of course it is. Do you think the actual light causes the fixture to catch
fire?

If I'm replacing the incandescents in one of these fixutures with
CFL's...which stay cool to the touch....are there any issues with going
to a higher light output in (say a CFL packaged with "75 watt"
incandescent output indicated on the package ?)

Posted to alt.home.repair

ropeyarn wrote:

The ceiling fixtures in our house all have labels indicating the maximum
wattage (incandescent) bulb to place in the fixture.

I assume this is a heat-based limit...

If I'm replacing the incandescents in one of these fixutures with
CFL's...which stay cool to the touch....are there any issues with going
to a higher light output in (say a CFL packaged with "75 watt"
incandescent output indicated on the package ?)

That's what I do. They sell cfl's based on light output but wattages
and heat output are much lower. I've been replacing 60 watt
incandescents with 75 watt cfl's in ceiling fixtures which call for 60
watt bulbs for several years with no problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ropeyarn wrote:

The ceiling fixtures in our house all have labels indicating the maximum
wattage (incandescent) bulb to place in the fixture.

I assume this is a heat-based limit...

If I'm replacing the incandescents in one of these fixutures with
CFL's...which stay cool to the touch....are there any issues with going
to a higher light output in (say a CFL packaged with "75 watt"
incandescent output indicated on the package ?)

No. You are not exceeding the limits of either current draw or heat
generally speaking. Now a CFL will produce some heat, but not nearly as
much as a comparable output incandescent.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

The ceiling fixtures in our house all have labels indicating the maximum
wattage (incandescent) bulb to place in the fixture.

I assume this is a heat-based limit...

of course it is. Do you think the actual light causes the fixture to catch
fire?

Although heat may and probably is the issue, over wattage through
current draw certainly could become a problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

AZ Nomad wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 14:25:15 -0500, ropeyarn wrote:

The ceiling fixtures in our house all have labels indicating the maximum
wattage (incandescent) bulb to place in the fixture.

I assume this is a heat-based limit...

of course it is. Do you think the actual light causes the fixture to catch
fire?

OK:
and your helpful contribution to the discussion is ????
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 15:25:35 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

ropeyarn wrote:

The ceiling fixtures in our house all have labels indicating the maximum
wattage (incandescent) bulb to place in the fixture.

I assume this is a heat-based limit...

If I'm replacing the incandescents in one of these fixutures with
CFL's...which stay cool to the touch....are there any issues with going
to a higher light output in (say a CFL packaged with "75 watt"
incandescent output indicated on the package ?)

No. You are not exceeding the limits of either current draw or heat
generally speaking. Now a CFL will produce some heat, but not nearly as
much as a comparable output incandescent.

nate

You don't say if these are recessed fixtures.

If they are be aware that CFL life when operated base up in recessed
fixtures can be shortened. Most of the cheap CFLs are designed to be
base down (or sideways) and in open fixtures. The higher you go in
wattage the greater the problem is likely to be. The issue is that
the electronics, which are in the base of the CFL, are affected by the
higher temperature when operated base up in enclosed fixtures. Even
though the overall temperature is much lower than when a regular bulb
is used, the electronics are more sensitive to it.

The Osram Dura One bulbs are specifically rated for base up use in
recessed fixtures but are quite pricey compared to bargain CFL's.

Paul F.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 16:38:41 -0500, Nate Nagel

The ceiling fixtures in our house all have labels indicating the maximum
wattage (incandescent) bulb to place in the fixture.
I assume this is a heat-based limit...
of course it is. Do you think the actual light causes the fixture to catch
fire?

Although heat may and probably is the issue, over wattage through
current draw certainly could become a problem.

It *could...* if CFLs were made that drew over 60W. I haven't seen one
yet... heck, even a 48" T12 only draws 40W a tube.

nate

The discussion is about fixtures, and their heat rating, not
necessarily CFL's.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

ropeyarn wrote:

[...]

Not recessed.......base horizontal...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 16:17:18 -0500, ropeyarn wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 14:25:15 -0500, ropeyarn wrote:

The ceiling fixtures in our house all have labels indicating the maximum
wattage (incandescent) bulb to place in the fixture.

I assume this is a heat-based limit...

of course it is. Do you think the actual light causes the fixture to catch
fire?

OK:
and your helpful contribution to the discussion is ????

That a 30W bulb puts out the light of a 75 bulb doesn't matter.
It's a 30W bulb. If it put out the light of a 7500W bulb, it still
wouldn't harm the fixture.

I'm sorry you find this so hard to follow.
Posted to alt.home.repair

AZ Nomad wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 14:25:15 -0500, ropeyarn wrote:

The ceiling fixtures in our house all have labels indicating the maximum
wattage (incandescent) bulb to place in the fixture.

I assume this is a heat-based limit...
of course it is. Do you think the actual light causes the fixture to catch
fire?

OK:
and your helpful contribution to the discussion is ????

That a 30W bulb puts out the light of a 75 bulb doesn't matter.
It's a 30W bulb. If it put out the light of a 7500W bulb, it still
wouldn't harm the fixture.

I'm sorry you find this so hard to follow.

A 7500 watt CFL, if there was such a thing would draw over 13 amps.
So you feel a light fixture rated for a 100 watt incandescent will be
just fine?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 20:40:19 -0500, Nate Nagel
Correct you are, but what happens to a fixture that is rated for
a 100 watt incandescent bulb when you use it for something other
than lighting? Are you saying that as long as you don't develop
100 watts of heat then the fixture will be just fine?

Yes, so long as you aren't actually drawing more than 100W.

nate

So a fixture that is rated for a 100 watt incandescent that would
normally draw less than 1 amp can draw 20 amps as long as there
is no heat involved?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

ropeyarn wrote:

[...]

Closed fixtures - those without good airflow around the bulb, can cause
overheating, and resulting shortened life.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Correct you are, but what happens to a fixture that is rated for
a 100 watt incandescent bulb when you use it for something other
than lighting? Are you saying that as long as you don't develop
100 watts of heat then the fixture will be just fine?

As long as you don't exceed the current and heat ratings, you'll
be fine.

So now you are bringing current into the equation. I'm glad the light
bulb turned on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

Well... I don't know whether a 15W CFL produces more or less heat than a
15W incandescent. I ASSume less, but I don't know how much less. That
said, the largest CFL I've seen is 23W and we're talking about 60W light
fixtures, so I don't know that it matters all that much.

There's basic physics at work here. Watts are a measure of electricity
consumption, not light output. Heat produced is completely based on watts
consumed. Incandescent bulbs are essentially electric heaters that happen to
throw out a small amount of light. You just need to make sure you are comparing
the actual current draw and not the equivilent light output.

A modern "60w" CFL is using less that 15w of electricity, the "75w" draw about
18w, and "100w" use about 23w actual.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My point is that a light fixture rated for a 100 watt incandescent
only has to be robust enough to support the current of that same bulb.
1 amp.

yes, we've covered that already.

Can you find an example of a CFL that draws more than 100 watts? What
point are you trying to make, anyway?

nate

My point has always been about the fixture and that it has current
limitations that haven't been clearly pointed out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , ropeyarn wrote:

The ceiling fixtures in our house all have labels indicating the maximum
wattage (incandescent) bulb to place in the fixture.

I assume this is a heat-based limit...

If I'm replacing the incandescents in one of these fixutures with
CFL's...which stay cool to the touch....are there any issues with going
to a higher light output in (say a CFL packaged with "75 watt"
incandescent output indicated on the package ?)

I have one data point of experimentation indicating that a 42 watt CFL
produces slightly more non-radiant heat than a 60 watt incandescent.
Therefore, it appears to me that CFLs of wattage much lower than 42 watts
will not overheat fixtures rated for 60 watt incandescents. This means
that CFLs of wattage up to low 30's should be OK, and those tend to
outshine 100 watt incandescents.

Meanwhile, CFLs can overheat in some fixtures. My experience is that
ones over 23 watts have a significant rate of overheating in downlights.
23 watt CFLs tend to be "lowish 100 watt" incandescent equivalence,
usually outshining 75 watt incandescents.

You may ask - how could a CFL be more efficient than an incandescent at
producing both light and non-radiant heat? The answer is that the CFL
produces much less infrared than an incandescent does, especially much
less in the 700-2500 nm range.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Frank wrote:
ropeyarn wrote:

The ceiling fixtures in our house all have labels indicating the maximum
wattage (incandescent) bulb to place in the fixture.

I assume this is a heat-based limit...

If I'm replacing the incandescents in one of these fixutures with
CFL's...which stay cool to the touch....are there any issues with going
to a higher light output in (say a CFL packaged with "75 watt"
incandescent output indicated on the package ?)

That's what I do. They sell cfl's based on light output but wattages
and heat output are much lower. I've been replacing 60 watt
incandescents with 75 watt cfl's in ceiling fixtures which call for 60
watt bulbs for several years with no problem.

I hope you mean "75 watt incandescent equivalent" - which is usually
18-20 watts.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 19:34:25 -0700, Robert Neville wrote:
wrote:

So a fixture that is rated for a 100 watt incandescent that would
normally draw less than 1 amp can draw 20 amps as long as there
is no heat involved?

Thats a nonsensical question. If you are drawing 20A of 120v AC electricity, you
are using 2400w of electricity*. And there will always be heat involved.

*Assuming the power factor is 1, which for light bulbs and most residential
useage, is true.

time to killfile the clown. tnom isn't interested in any answers, but only
in participating in a perpetual argument.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 19:34:25 -0700, Robert Neville

So a fixture that is rated for a 100 watt incandescent that would
normally draw less than 1 amp can draw 20 amps as long as there
is no heat involved?

Thats a nonsensical question. If you are drawing 20A of 120v AC electricity, you
are using 2400w of electricity*. And there will always be heat involved.

So in all instances 2400 watts of electricity will create 2400 watts
of heat? Couldn't 2400 watts of electricity only create 100 watts of
heat?