Posted to alt.home.repair
AZ Nomad[_2_] AZ Nomad[_2_] is offline

Default CFLs vs incandescent "max wattage" cautions in overhead fixtures....

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 14:25:15 -0500, ropeyarn wrote:

The ceiling fixtures in our house all have labels indicating the maximum
wattage (incandescent) bulb to place in the fixture.

I assume this is a heat-based limit...

of course it is. Do you think the actual light causes the fixture to catch
fire?

If I'm replacing the incandescents in one of these fixutures with
CFL's...which stay cool to the touch....are there any issues with going
to a higher light output in (say a CFL packaged with "75 watt"
incandescent output indicated on the package ?)