Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default CFLs vs incandescent "max wattage" cautions in overhead fixtures....

In article , Frank wrote:
ropeyarn wrote:

The ceiling fixtures in our house all have labels indicating the maximum
wattage (incandescent) bulb to place in the fixture.

I assume this is a heat-based limit...

If I'm replacing the incandescents in one of these fixutures with
CFL's...which stay cool to the touch....are there any issues with going
to a higher light output in (say a CFL packaged with "75 watt"
incandescent output indicated on the package ?)

That's what I do. They sell cfl's based on light output but wattages
and heat output are much lower. I've been replacing 60 watt
incandescents with 75 watt cfl's in ceiling fixtures which call for 60
watt bulbs for several years with no problem.

I hope you mean "75 watt incandescent equivalent" - which is usually
18-20 watts.

- Don Klipstein )