Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default CFLs vs incandescent "max wattage" cautions in overhead fixtures....

ropeyarn wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
wrote:
The ceiling fixtures in our house all have labels indicating the
maximum wattage (incandescent) bulb to place in the fixture.
I assume this is a heat-based limit...
of course it is. Do you think the actual light causes the fixture
to catch
fire?

Although heat may and probably is the issue, over wattage through
current draw certainly could become a problem.

It *could...* if CFLs were made that drew over 60W. I haven't seen
one yet... heck, even a 48" T12 only draws 40W a tube.

nate

Indeed...I figure as long as I compare apples to apples (watts to
watts), the issue if illumination values doesn't matter..

Thanks for the responses.

Well... I don't know whether a 15W CFL produces more or less heat than a
15W incandescent. I ASSume less, but I don't know how much less. That
said, the largest CFL I've seen is 23W and we're talking about 60W light
fixtures, so I don't know that it matters all that much.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel