Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default CFLs vs incandescent "max wattage" cautions in overhead fixtures....

wrote:
The ceiling fixtures in our house all have labels indicating the maximum
wattage (incandescent) bulb to place in the fixture.
I assume this is a heat-based limit...

of course it is. Do you think the actual light causes the fixture to catch
fire?

Although heat may and probably is the issue, over wattage through
current draw certainly could become a problem.

It *could...* if CFLs were made that drew over 60W. I haven't seen one
yet... heck, even a 48" T12 only draws 40W a tube.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel