Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default CFLs vs incandescent "max wattage" cautions in overhead fixtures....

wrote:

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 19:37:58 -0600, AZ Nomad
wrote:

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 16:17:18 -0500, ropeyarn wrote:

AZ Nomad wrote:

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 14:25:15 -0500, ropeyarn wrote:

The ceiling fixtures in our house all have labels indicating the maximum
wattage (incandescent) bulb to place in the fixture.

I assume this is a heat-based limit...

of course it is. Do you think the actual light causes the fixture to catch
fire?

OK:
and your helpful contribution to the discussion is ????

That a 30W bulb puts out the light of a 75 bulb doesn't matter.
It's a 30W bulb. If it put out the light of a 7500W bulb, it still
wouldn't harm the fixture.

I'm sorry you find this so hard to follow.

A 7500 watt CFL, if there was such a thing would draw over 13 amps.
So you feel a light fixture rated for a 100 watt incandescent will be
just fine?

I don't think he said anything like that. Your hypothetical 7500 watt
equivalent CFL would draw more than 100 watts, so fall outside the
design parameters.