Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to rig a pulley system with a timer......

I have a fabric dyeing project in mind where I want the fabric to be
removed gradually from
the dye bath. My thought is to tack the fabric to a dowel, suspended
with nylon or cotton line and
wind the line onto the stem of the motor or some sort of spool. I don't
want to spend much
and it would be ideal if the motor had adjustable slow RPM's. Would be
okay if I could scavenge
from something easy to find.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Jan 15, 12:30*pm, Norminn wrote:
I have a fabric dyeing *project in mind where I want the fabric to be
removed gradually from
the dye bath. *My thought is to tack the fabric to a dowel, suspended
with nylon or cotton line and
wind the line onto the stem of the motor or some sort of spool. *I don't
want to spend much
and it would be ideal if the motor had adjustable slow RPM's. *Would be
okay if I could scavenge
from something easy to find.

The time would be pretty easy w/ one of the household security
lighting mechanical timers if don't need it to be exceptionally
precise (which doesn't sound as though would be).

A variable speed motor could be arranged by manipulating a variable
speed drill it would seem with some cams, etc., ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/15/2009 10:30 AM Norminn spake thus:

I have a fabric dyeing project in mind where I want the fabric to be
removed gradually from the dye bath. My thought is to tack the fabric
to a dowel, suspended with nylon or cotton line and wind the line
onto the stem of the motor or some sort of spool. I don't want to
spend much and it would be ideal if the motor had adjustable slow
RPM's. Would be okay if I could scavenge from something easy to
find.

Here are my links to places that sell gearmotors:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.as...08112017294502
http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm/.../subsection/18
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...-Motors/1.html
http://www.surplustraders.net/a/0184.shtml

--
In order to embark on a new course, the only one that will
solve the problem: negotiations and peace with the Palestinians,

Because it's only with enemies that one makes peace.

- Uri Avnery, Israeli writer and peace activist with Gush Shalom.
(http://counterpunch.org/avnery08032006.html)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 15, 1:30*pm, Norminn wrote:
I have a fabric dyeing *project in mind where I want the fabric to be
removed gradually from
the dye bath. *My thought is to tack the fabric to a dowel, suspended
with nylon or cotton line and
wind the line onto the stem of the motor or some sort of spool. *I don't
want to spend much
and it would be ideal if the motor had adjustable slow RPM's. *Would be
okay if I could scavenge
from something easy to find.

Attach a bucket to the line and a couple of pulleys. Trickle water
into the bucket from a slow hose.

As the bucket fills, the fabric will be drawn out. Adjust the length
of the line and speed of the trickle to match your needs.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 12:37:50 -0800, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Jan 15, 1:30*pm, Norminn wrote:
I have a fabric dyeing *project in mind where I want the fabric to be
removed gradually from
the dye bath. *My thought is to tack the fabric to a dowel, suspended
with nylon or cotton line and
wind the line onto the stem of the motor or some sort of spool. *I don't
want to spend much
and it would be ideal if the motor had adjustable slow RPM's. *Would be
okay if I could scavenge
from something easy to find.

Attach a bucket to the line and a couple of pulleys. Trickle water
into the bucket from a slow hose.

As the bucket fills, the fabric will be drawn out. Adjust the length
of the line and speed of the trickle to match your needs.

I like your idea but would get a plastic bucket as an Ice Cream
container. Fill the bucket with water with a hole in the bucket.
Fill the bucket and put time markings on it. Fill to the time desired.
Use the bucket as the timer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RLM wrote:

[...]

Lot's easier to put 60 marks on the line and wind one per minute )
Unless you know the formula
for amount of water, size of holes in bucket, etc. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 1/15/2009 10:30 AM Norminn spake thus:

I have a fabric dyeing project in mind where I want the fabric to be
removed gradually from the dye bath. My thought is to tack the fabric
to a dowel, suspended with nylon or cotton line and wind the line
onto the stem of the motor or some sort of spool. I don't want to
spend much and it would be ideal if the motor had adjustable slow
RPM's. Would be okay if I could scavenge from something easy to
find.

Here are my links to places that sell gearmotors:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.as...08112017294502

http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm/.../subsection/18
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...-Motors/1.html

http://www.surplustraders.net/a/0184.shtml

Gee.....I saw one possibility (gadget gurus would get to the right item
more quickly). I had not
remembered that there are still clocks with hands. Just a couple of
months ago, I made a new
wall clock for the kitchen. Is a battery clock motor strong enough?
Would a cheap electrical
clock be more or less strong? I guestimate the weight of the wet fabric
to be no more than a
pound, but I don't know about pulleys and torque and all that stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.as...keyword=GIDD&c...

http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm/....cfm/subsectio...
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...400/Motors/DC-...

http://www.surplustraders.net/a/0184.shtml

Gee.....I saw one possibility (gadget gurus would get to the right item
more quickly). *I had not
remembered that there are still clocks with hands. *Just a couple of
months ago, I made a new
wall clock for the kitchen. *Is a battery clock motor strong enough? *
Would a cheap electrical
clock be more or less strong? *I guestimate the weight of the wet fabric
to be no more than a
pound, but I don't know about pulleys and torque and all that stuff.- Hide quoted text -

I doubt the $2.00 clock mechs you can get at craft stores will lift
anywhere near a pound. You might need something like a grandfather
clock mech, which might run you more than you want to spend.

Besides, you asked for "adjustable RPMs" While some clocks mechs have
a "faster-slower" adjustment, I'm guessing the amount of adjustment
would be minuscule.
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

I have a variety motors laying around from cordless tools, microwave
ovens, etc, some operate with DC voltage where the speed can be
adjusted easily with a variable resistor.