Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to rig a pulley system with a timer......

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 05:56:03 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Jan 16, 4:07*am, Norminn wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 1/15/2009 10:30 AM Norminn spake thus:

I have a fabric dyeing project in mind where I want the fabric to be
removed gradually from the dye bath. My thought is to tack the fabric
to a dowel, suspended with nylon or cotton line and wind the line
onto the stem of the motor or some sort of spool. I don't want to
spend much and it would be ideal if the motor had adjustable slow
RPM's. Would be okay if I could scavenge from something easy to
find.

Here are my links to places that sell gearmotors:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.as...keyword=GIDD&c...

http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm/....cfm/subsectio...
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...400/Motors/DC-...

http://www.surplustraders.net/a/0184.shtml

Gee.....I saw one possibility (gadget gurus would get to the right item
more quickly). *I had not
remembered that there are still clocks with hands. *Just a couple of
months ago, I made a new
wall clock for the kitchen. *Is a battery clock motor strong enough? *
Would a cheap electrical
clock be more or less strong? *I guestimate the weight of the wet fabric
to be no more than a
pound, but I don't know about pulleys and torque and all that stuff.- Hide quoted text -

I doubt the $2.00 clock mechs you can get at craft stores will lift
anywhere near a pound. You might need something like a grandfather
clock mech, which might run you more than you want to spend.

Besides, you asked for "adjustable RPMs" While some clocks mechs have
a "faster-slower" adjustment, I'm guessing the amount of adjustment
would be minuscule.

I have a variety motors laying around from cordless tools, microwave
ovens, etc, some operate with DC voltage where the speed can be
adjusted easily with a variable resistor.