Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to install a timer / lawn watering system

I am thikning about a DYI project for installing a lawn watering
system. Is it really that simple? What things should I be thinking
about before I choose a system? How deep do I need to bury the lines?
Newbie at this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am thikning about a DYI project for installing a lawn watering
system. Is it really that simple? What things should I be thinking
about before I choose a system? How deep do I need to bury the lines?
Newbie at this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm usually not one to post an RTFM response but http://www.rainbird.com/
website has most of what you want to know without requiring me to reinvent
the wheel in text.
Also
http://www.orbitonline.com/index.cfm

Also see pamphlets in the stores where this stuff is sold

Posted to alt.home.repair

PipeDown wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
I am thikning about a DYI project for installing a lawn watering
system. Is it really that simple? What things should I be thinking
about before I choose a system? How deep do I need to bury the lines?
Newbie at this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm usually not one to post an RTFM response but http://www.rainbird.com/
website has most of what you want to know without requiring me to reinvent
the wheel in text.
Also
http://www.orbitonline.com/index.cfm

Also see pamphlets in the stores where this stuff is sold

Also, considering that pros have the equipment to just pull the pipe i
minutes, without actually digging a trench, this is one job that may
not be a good candidate for DIY. At least not any reasonable size lawn.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the replies. Good reading.

What kind of equipment would the pros have to pull the lines? A few of
our neighbors had a system put in from all companies had to dig up the
lawn to lay the lines.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You can rent a trencher at most good rental shops. That will open the
ground and you can put in rigid PVC pipe. Way better than digging by hand.

These is another tool similar in appearance to a trencher that is used to
pull flexible hose underground. This may also be available at the rental
shop but the hose you pull and the way you connect to it is different.
Rigid White PVC pipe is easy to buy and work with, the other parts may be
more limited.

When I did my lawn, I also roto tilled the whole area in prep for a sod
lawn. I tilled to about 8" so digging a trench in that was real easy with
just a spade.

While you're at it you should plumb in another sprinkler zone just for the
drip system. Run it near shrubs and planting areas. You can then run 1/4"
tubing from those key spots to the plants as required.

ups.com...