barry martin

Default Intermatic timer question

Ellie:

E We recently had an electrician install a new fan in one of out bathrooms
E with a timer switch so we can leave it on for a while after taking a
E shower. It is an intermatic timer from HD. Today when I turned it didn't
E turn off at all, and I noticed that it was stuck and not moving. I can
E manually turn it off but when I do that it keeps on ticking for about
E less than a minute (though the fan is off), and then it stops. I don't
E know anything about these things. What could cause it to get stuck? It
E seems like it's gone out of alignment or something. Can this be fixed or
E do we have to get another timer?

With many mechnical timers for a short period you have to "wind up"
the mechanism by turning it to (say) the 4 o'clock position and then
turn it back to the desired time. (If the full period is 60 minutes
but you only want five you would turn the know to 20 minutes and then
back to 5.)

I think the ticking after the fan is off is normal: the timer
mechanism has to flip a switch, which takes a bit of extra 'oomph'.

If the fan switch is indeed faulty replacing it isn't that much of a
job. Turn the fan on. Go to the circuit breaker box and turn off the
circuit breaker controlling the bathroom. Return to the bath and make
sure the fan is off (and wasn't turned off because the fan timer timed
out).

Pull the knob off the timer (there may be a set screw on on end).
Remove cover plate -- there wll either be two slotted screws like a
regular switchplate or a nut around the timer shaft.

Remove timer mechanism - probably two more screws holding it in.
There should be two (possibly three) wires coming out of the timer.
Make a notation of which wire goes to the other wires inside the box.
Undo these connections - wire nuts or screws.

Replace with new timer, reversing above sequence.

And yes, with the power off to the bathroom you will probably be
working in the dark. Prepare ahead of time by getting a long
extension cord to plug a work light in (table lamp with the shade
removed works fine). A flashlight may also be helpful to look inside
the timer box (in the wall).

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* Quicker than grease through a goose.
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *