Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default How to rig a pulley system with a timer......

RLM wrote:

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 12:37:50 -0800, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Jan 15, 1:30 pm, Norminn wrote:

I have a fabric dyeing project in mind where I want the fabric to be
removed gradually from
the dye bath. My thought is to tack the fabric to a dowel, suspended
with nylon or cotton line and
wind the line onto the stem of the motor or some sort of spool. I don't
want to spend much
and it would be ideal if the motor had adjustable slow RPM's. Would be
okay if I could scavenge
from something easy to find.

Attach a bucket to the line and a couple of pulleys. Trickle water
into the bucket from a slow hose.

As the bucket fills, the fabric will be drawn out. Adjust the length
of the line and speed of the trickle to match your needs.

I like your idea but would get a plastic bucket as an Ice Cream
container. Fill the bucket with water with a hole in the bucket.
Fill the bucket and put time markings on it. Fill to the time desired.
Use the bucket as the timer.

Lot's easier to put 60 marks on the line and wind one per minute )
Unless you know the formula
for amount of water, size of holes in bucket, etc. Thanks.