Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to fix these rotting floor joists

Hi,

In working in my kitchen, I uncovered this mess in the floor joists
near the door.

http://freeboundaries.com/mess.jpg

I'm faced with the problem of how to fix this situation. I have cut
off the part that was completely rotten. The joist right in the middle
was sistered to give it the right height. There are two sisters
because the carpenter didn't get it right the first time.

What you see down below the joists is a stone wall. I don't think it's
flat enough to provide good support, i.e. if I were to put some lumber
on it.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to fix this problem.

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 12:53�pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

In working in my kitchen, I uncovered this mess in the floor joists
near the door.

http://freeboundaries.com/mess.jpg

I'm faced with the problem of how to fix this situation. I have cut
off the part that was completely rotten. The joist right in the middle
was sistered to give it the right height. There are two sisters
because the carpenter didn't get it right the first time.

What you see down below the joists is a stone wall. I don't think it's
flat enough to provide good support, i.e. if I were to put some lumber
on it.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to fix this problem.

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

first fix where the moisture is entering so its not a future
problem!!!

Use PT wood level the top of the stone wall add some PT shims and
sister new wood, I would double up all those beams.

you could put a piece of metal on top of the beams
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 2:25�pm, " wrote:
[...]

you could put a piece of metal on top of the beams- Hide quoted text -

I meant to say piece of steel on top of stone wall, and sister a steel
plate to the beam.

question what shape is the sill in? its likely rotten too
Posted to alt.home.repair

geez is the sill rock? how old is the building?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 11:25:08 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

[...]

Not at all uncommon on an old "rubble" foundation. Unlike concrete or
stone, rubble foundations are often damp. I'd be putting a PT sill on
that foundation wall, using a concrete topper to get to the right
level, and with a layer of 15 lb tarpaper (bituminous felt) between
the concrete and the sill. That building is likely 100 years old, or
very close.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

In working in my kitchen, I uncovered this mess in the floor joists
near the door.

http://freeboundaries.com/mess.jpg

I'm faced with the problem of how to fix this situation. I have cut
off the part that was completely rotten. The joist right in the middle
was sistered to give it the right height. There are two sisters
because the carpenter didn't get it right the first time.

You may get better advice if you put up a photo from
underneath showing the materials of which basement
floor and walls are constructed, with an idea of scale.

In a modern house, the repair method is to start with a
single beam capable of carrying the whole load, that must
be fitted exactly level (adjusted with jack stands) and set
1/8 inch high. Prerequisite for this is how to get the ends
of the beam into or underneath joists etc. When satisfied
with the beam you can repair related joists; and finally
remove the jack stands.

But the first photo does not show whether this old house
has space to work underneath the old floor, or solid walls
or floor onto which the main beam could fit.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 09:53:53 -0800 (PST), Aaron Fude
wrote:

Hi,

In working in my kitchen, I uncovered this mess in the floor joists
near the door.

http://freeboundaries.com/mess.jpg

I'm faced with the problem of how to fix this situation. I have cut
off the part that was completely rotten. The joist right in the middle
was sistered to give it the right height. There are two sisters
because the carpenter didn't get it right the first time.

Call an Engineer for an on-site visit and report.

What you see down below the joists is a stone wall. I don't think it's
flat enough to provide good support, i.e. if I were to put some lumber
on it.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to fix this problem.

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 11:53*am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

In working in my kitchen, I uncovered this mess in the floor joists
near the door.

http://freeboundaries.com/mess.jpg

I'm faced with the problem of how to fix this situation. I have cut
off the part that was completely rotten. The joist right in the middle
was sistered to give it the right height. There are two sisters
because the carpenter didn't get it right the first time.

What you see down below the joists is a stone wall. I don't think it's
flat enough to provide good support, i.e. if I were to put some lumber
on it.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to fix this problem.

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

There may be rot you cant see where its recessed, you have it open now
to make it last another 200 years. Stone walls are cold maybe 1R, foam
would be best. Wood has a high R value not stone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 5:15�pm, "Don Phillipson" wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

[...]

if theres room to work from below like a crawl space it might be
easiest to put support post from below, to code, like well below frost
line. done right this can support several beams.

really need more photos, details and info
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

In working in my kitchen, I uncovered this mess in the floor joists
near the door.

http://freeboundaries.com/mess.jpg

I'm faced with the problem of how to fix this situation. I have cut
off the part that was completely rotten. The joist right in the middle
was sistered to give it the right height. There are two sisters
because the carpenter didn't get it right the first time.

What you see down below the joists is a stone wall. I don't think it's
flat enough to provide good support, i.e. if I were to put some lumber
on it.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to fix this problem.

Many thanks in advance,

*Your photo reminded me of an old tenement I worked on in New York City
Years ago. I went down to the lower floor to do some demolition on the
wiring and my leg went through the floor. After I got myself out I went and
told the construction supervisor. A few days later they ripped EVERYTHING
out. The joists were rotted on the ends like yours. They installed all new
joists (No sistering), but sealed the ends of the wood first. The
foundation was all stone and the joists were slightly below grade.

You should probably do the same. Remove each joist one at a time and put a
new one in its place. Seal or primer the ends.

Do you feel as though you have opened a "Can of worms" with your kitchen
project?