Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rotting floor in bathroom

I have a bathroom where, due to poor calking, the floor has rotted.
The floor is tile and still looks fine, but when I go in the basement
and look at the floor above the floor is rotted completely thru and I
can see the bottom of the tile. The amount of rot is about 5x5
inches.

What I want to do, for now, is use some filler material and fill in
the rotted wood. Then take a piece of plywood and toenail it into the
floor joists, or use a couple of blocks to screw to the floor joists.

Any recommendations on what to use for filler?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
metspitzer wrote:

I have a bathroom where, due to poor calking, the floor has rotted.
The floor is tile and still looks fine, but when I go in the basement
and look at the floor above the floor is rotted completely thru and I
can see the bottom of the tile. The amount of rot is about 5x5
inches.

What I want to do, for now, is use some filler material and fill in
the rotted wood. Then take a piece of plywood and toenail it into the
floor joists, or use a couple of blocks to screw to the floor joists.

Any recommendations on what to use for filler?

"For now?" When do you plan to fix it correctly? After your leg has gone
through the floor and the broken tile has severed your femoral artery?
(BTW, the "amount of rot" is certainly larger than 5" square.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 10:35*pm, metspitzer wrote:
I have a bathroom where, due to poor calking, the floor has rotted.
The floor is tile and still looks fine, but when I go in the basement
and look at the floor above the floor is rotted completely thru and I
can see the bottom of the tile. *The amount of rot is about 5x5
inches.

What I want to do, for now, is use some filler material and fill in
the rotted wood. *Then take a piece of plywood and toenail it into the
floor joists, or use a couple of blocks to screw to the floor joists.

Any recommendations on what to use for filler?

No, you can't patch on rot. The only fix is to remover the tile
until you get to solid wood then replace the wood, maybe the framing
as well, and put the tile back.

I have to agree with Smitty, and you may well have a serious
safety issue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You really are playing with fire here. Once wood rot starts, no amount
of filler is going to put it back into shape. There are several ways
to jury-rig a temporary patch by cutting out a large section of
sub-flooring from underneath and then installing plywood patch pieces
and braces. But NONE of these fixes are long term. The only way to fix
this properly is to remove the tile and install new sub flooring.

If you do this temporary patch and try to sell your hose down the
road, you're going to get nailed big time by the inspector.
Posted to alt.home.repair

metspitzer wrote:
I have a bathroom where, due to poor calking, the floor has rotted.
The floor is tile and still looks fine, but when I go in the
basement
and look at the floor above the floor is rotted completely thru and
can see the bottom of the tile. The amount of rot is about 5x5
inches.

What I want to do, for now, is use some filler material and fill in
the rotted wood. Then take a piece of plywood and toenail it into
the
floor joists, or use a couple of blocks to screw to the floor
joists.

Any recommendations on what to use for filler?

Fix it right or not at all. Also find out why it's rotting--it's not
likely to be just "poor caulking". Put a level on the tub and make
sure that it's set so that water drains back into the tub instead of
out onto the floor.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rick-Meister" wrote

You really are playing with fire here. Once wood rot starts, no amount
of filler is going to put it back into shape. There are several ways
to jury-rig a temporary patch by cutting out a large section of
sub-flooring from underneath and then installing plywood patch pieces
and braces. But NONE of these fixes are long term. The only way to fix
this properly is to remove the tile and install new sub flooring.

If you do this temporary patch and try to sell your house down the
road, you're going to get nailed big time by the inspector.

Agreed. First thing is to find the leak that caused the rotting. He may
have already fixed that but not mentioned it?

He may have serious structural damage that is ongoing and patching it for a
few weeks til he can get it fixed might be 'ok' but thats just a few weeks.

Bathroom Floor John UK diy 3 August 24th 06 11:40 AM
INSURANCE ADVICE REQD: Leaking drains, Subsidence & rotting floor joists. HJWD UK diy 4 October 28th 05 01:46 AM
INSURANCE ADVICE REQD: Leaking drains, Subsidence & rotting floor joists. HJWD UK diy 0 October 27th 05 11:59 AM
Bathroom Floor Jodi Home Repair 6 February 12th 05 04:57 AM
Hardwood floor disclored (rotting?) near pipe Bill Athanasopoulos Home Repair 2 September 6th 03 11:04 PM