HJWD

Default INSURANCE ADVICE REQD: Leaking drains, Subsidence & rotting floor joists.

Hi,

I inherited a property (3 bed semi) when my Aunty passed away and it
suffered from subsidence caused by leaking foul-water drains. The
drains were repaired and the cracks in the walls and ceilings were
fixed under house insurance. So far, so good. This took 5-6 months and
a lot of hassle!

When checking the drains, they were also meant to check the front drain
but never did despite me continually asking them what the state of the
front drain was. Also, the insurance surveyor did not even look under
the suspended ground floor despite knowing the drains leaked!

Well, the insurance building work has just been completed but now I
have found that there is a collection of 2-3 inches of water under the
suspended floor which I strongly suspect is coming from a leaking front
drain!!! I have seen water under there a couple of months ago too but
not as much as it appears after a heavy downfall of rain!

I suspect that the front drain has been leaking for many years and the
suspended floor joists are now pretty rotten and there is rising damp.
So bad that the entire floor needs replacing!! I think there is
woodworm too!

I have told the insurance company and surveyors about this and I said
that the structural integrity of the building report should not go
ahead until this is sorted.

Initially the insurance company have said that the floor is not
covered! But I think they have a duty to put it right as it has been
caused by the same problem of leaking drains that they have already
accepted has caused the subsidence!

If this front drain leak continues it will just cause the subsidence to
happen again and so ruin the expensive insurance repair work just
completed!

I have been doing the property up in order to let it out but now I
can't do much to it because of this!! It is becoming a real pain for
me! I even have a fitted kitchen on order!

Your advice please! Also, has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks, Howard.