Posted to alt.home.repair
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Rotting floor in bathroom

metspitzer wrote:
I have a bathroom where, due to poor calking, the floor has rotted.
The floor is tile and still looks fine, but when I go in the
basement
and look at the floor above the floor is rotted completely thru and
can see the bottom of the tile. The amount of rot is about 5x5
inches.

What I want to do, for now, is use some filler material and fill in
the rotted wood. Then take a piece of plywood and toenail it into
the
floor joists, or use a couple of blocks to screw to the floor
joists.

Any recommendations on what to use for filler?

Fix it right or not at all. Also find out why it's rotting--it's not
likely to be just "poor caulking". Put a level on the tub and make
sure that it's set so that water drains back into the tub instead of
out onto the floor.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)