Jodi

Default Bathroom Floor

We are replacing our bathroom vanity with a pedestal sink. Because of this,
we are going to tile the floor (which is now linoleum). We are also going
to put up beadboard on the walls. Any general tips would be great, but my
specific question is: do we just cut tiles for around the toilet? Or do we
need to remove it and tile under it?

Thanks,
Jodi

Andy Hill

"Jodi" wrote:
We are replacing our bathroom vanity with a pedestal sink. Because of this,
we are going to tile the floor (which is now linoleum). We are also going
to put up beadboard on the walls. Any general tips would be great, but my
specific question is: do we just cut tiles for around the toilet? Or do we
need to remove it and tile under it?

IMHO, a proper job involves pulling the toilet and tiling underneath (you don't
want some poor schmuck down the road trying to match tiles if he replaces the
toilet). Ideally, you'd want to reset the flange to tile height, but I've seen
a lot of folks just double up on the wax rings (asking for a blowout, if you ask
me, but amazingly it seems to usually work).

John Hines

"Jodi" wrote:

We are replacing our bathroom vanity with a pedestal sink. Because of this,
we are going to tile the floor (which is now linoleum). We are also going
to put up beadboard on the walls. Any general tips would be great, but my
specific question is: do we just cut tiles for around the toilet? Or do we
need to remove it and tile under it?

Pull it out, cut the tile around the flange, tile and grout, reseat the
toilet on the flange and grout or silicon it in place.

toilet). Ideally, you'd want to reset the flange to tile height, but I've seen
a lot of folks just double up on the wax rings (asking for a blowout, if you ask
me, but amazingly it seems to usually work).

There's no particular reason why a doubled ring should be a problem,
if the rest of the system is working properly. Waste dumps out of
the toilet and down the drain pipe under gravity, and THAT part
out to work fine with no seal at all. The wax is just to keep
sewer gasses from coming up the pipe, and oout from under the toilet.

calhoun

Pull the toilet.
Since you only have vinyl confirm that you have at least 1 1/4" thick
subfloor. (recommended minimum for ceramic tile install) If not add another
layer of plywood or durarock.
Reset toilet flange so new tile will just fit under it.

ink.net...