Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default How to fix these rotting floor joists

On Dec 26, 11:53*am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

In working in my kitchen, I uncovered this mess in the floor joists
near the door.

http://freeboundaries.com/mess.jpg

I'm faced with the problem of how to fix this situation. I have cut
off the part that was completely rotten. The joist right in the middle
was sistered to give it the right height. There are two sisters
because the carpenter didn't get it right the first time.

What you see down below the joists is a stone wall. I don't think it's
flat enough to provide good support, i.e. if I were to put some lumber
on it.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to fix this problem.

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

There may be rot you cant see where its recessed, you have it open now
to make it last another 200 years. Stone walls are cold maybe 1R, foam
would be best. Wood has a high R value not stone.