Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Phillipson[_3_] Don Phillipson[_3_] is offline

Default How to fix these rotting floor joists

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

In working in my kitchen, I uncovered this mess in the floor joists
near the door.

http://freeboundaries.com/mess.jpg

I'm faced with the problem of how to fix this situation. I have cut
off the part that was completely rotten. The joist right in the middle
was sistered to give it the right height. There are two sisters
because the carpenter didn't get it right the first time.

You may get better advice if you put up a photo from
underneath showing the materials of which basement
floor and walls are constructed, with an idea of scale.

In a modern house, the repair method is to start with a
single beam capable of carrying the whole load, that must
be fitted exactly level (adjusted with jack stands) and set
1/8 inch high. Prerequisite for this is how to get the ends
of the beam into or underneath joists etc. When satisfied
with the beam you can repair related joists; and finally
remove the jack stands.

But the first photo does not show whether this old house
has space to work underneath the old floor, or solid walls
or floor onto which the main beam could fit.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs