Posted to alt.home.repair

Default insulate doorknob

Has anyone ever insulated a doorknob to keep the cold air out? I was
thinking about removing it, filling the hole with foam then cut holes
for the screws and latch. Wondering what other's opinions are.

Thanks,

Carl

http://www.gaihosa.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

Has anyone ever insulated a doorknob to keep the cold air out? I was
thinking about removing it, filling the hole with foam then cut holes
for the screws and latch. Wondering what other's opinions are.

The steel rotating part will still conduct cold from one side
to another. We can reduce the apparent coldness of the
interior door handle by fitting a wood bezel and handle in
place of metal ones.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Nov 21, 9:42*pm, "
wrote:
Has anyone ever insulated a doorknob to keep the cold air out? *I was
thinking about removing it, filling the hole with foam then cut holes
for the screws and latch. *Wondering what other's opinions are.

Thanks,

Carl

http://www.gaihosa.com

Yes, I've done it and it works very well. I also did the same thing to
the deadbolts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 22, 12:12*am, Red Green wrote:
" wrote in news:443d2989-
:

Has anyone ever insulated a doorknob to keep the cold air out? *I was
thinking about removing it, filling the hole with foam then cut holes
for the screws and latch. *Wondering what other's opinions are.

Thanks,

Carl

http://www.gaihosa.com

No wonder gmail has a bad rep.

Why does gmail have a bad rep??? I think it's the best email ever and
you're the first person to say anything negative about it. What's
wrong with you????
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 22, 9:31*am, wrote:
On Nov 21, 9:42*pm, "
wrote:

Has anyone ever insulated a doorknob to keep the cold air out? *I was
thinking about removing it, filling the hole with foam then cut holes
for the screws and latch. *Wondering what other's opinions are.

Thanks,

Carl

http://www.gaihosa.com

* Think storm door.

Thanks but where I live a storm doesn't but it!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 22, 9:31*am, wrote:
On Nov 21, 9:42*pm, "
wrote:

Has anyone ever insulated a doorknob to keep the cold air out? *I was
thinking about removing it, filling the hole with foam then cut holes
for the screws and latch. *Wondering what other's opinions are.

Thanks,

Carl

http://www.gaihosa.com

* Think storm door.

Sorry but where I live a storm door doesn't cut it. Spray foam or
something to seal the hole has to be done. I like the wood bezel idea
also. Considering that Don is from Ottawa should make it suitable
solution.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Has anyone ever insulated a doorknob to keep the cold air out? I was
thinking about removing it, filling the hole with foam then cut holes
for the screws and latch. Wondering what other's opinions are.

Thanks,

Carl

http://www.gaihosa.com

How is the "cold air" coming in?

Is it leaking out around the knob shank? There can't be a very large gap
there. maybe just an O-ring over the shank pushed against the hole it
comes through would stop most of the air flow. You could use a little
superglue to keep the O-ring in place.

Methinks you're straining at a gnat in terms of the amount of cold air
coming in there, relative to all the other air leaks in the average
house. but have fun....

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Nov 23, 12:02*am, Jeff Wisnia
Has anyone ever insulated a doorknob to keep the cold air out? *I was
thinking about removing it, filling the hole with foam then cut holes
for the screws and latch. *Wondering what other's opinions are.

Thanks,

Carl

http://www.gaihosa.com

How is the "cold air" coming in?

Is it leaking out around the knob shank? There can't be a very large gap
there. maybe just an O-ring over the shank pushed against the hole it
comes through would stop most of the air flow. You could use a little
superglue to keep the O-ring in place.

Methinks you're straining at a gnat in terms of the amount of cold air
coming in there, relative to all the other air leaks in the average
house. but have fun....

Jeff

"Metinks" you took the bait.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 22, 10:07*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 22:02:40 -0500, "Don Phillipson"

wrote:
wrote in message

Has anyone ever insulated a doorknob to keep the cold air out? *I was
thinking about removing it, filling the hole with foam then cut holes
for the screws and latch. *Wondering what other's opinions are.

The steel rotating part will still conduct cold from one side
to another. * We can reduce the apparent coldness of the
interior door handle by fitting a wood bezel and handle in
place of metal ones.

Fill a condom with "Great Stuff" spray foam. *Immediately stretch the
condom over your knob and let it swell. *Once it gets hard, you will
have a large well insulated knob.

Condoms are for loosers!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 23, 12:02*am, Jeff Wisnia
[...]

I didn't mean that there was actually a stream of cold air (which
there isn't) just the knob itself is freezing cold probably because it
is made of steel. I figured filling the gap with spray foam or
replacing the bezel with a wooden one would solve the problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote:
On Nov 23, 12:02 am, Jeff Wisnia

Has anyone ever insulated a doorknob to keep the cold air out? I was
thinking about removing it, filling the hole with foam then cut holes
for the screws and latch. Wondering what other's opinions are.

Thanks,

Carl

http://www.gaihosa.com

How is the "cold air" coming in?

Is it leaking out around the knob shank? There can't be a very large gap
there. maybe just an O-ring over the shank pushed against the hole it
comes through would stop most of the air flow. You could use a little
superglue to keep the O-ring in place.

Methinks you're straining at a gnat in terms of the amount of cold air
coming in there, relative to all the other air leaks in the average
house. but have fun....

Jeff

"Metinks" you took the bait.

Well, perhaps I did take it hook, line and sinker, but maybe I didn't.

The OP did say "cold air", not a "cold knob". And people do take cold
air leaks emanating from things like electrical outlet and swith boxes
seriously enough to try and smother them out, so why not want to
extinguish a leak from around a doorknob shank or bezel plate also?

Perhaps the OP will let us know if he was asking a serious question,
which elicited a lot of smartypants replies from other students in this
high school cafeteria of a thread, or just pulling our chains.

Speaking of pulling chains, I had some fun with a Nigerian scammer a few
years ago. Apologies if I posted this link here before, the years are
taking their toll on my memory and lately I've been suffering from some
serious CRS.*

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/j...ambusting.html

Jeff

* CRS = "Can't remember ****e."
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Has anyone ever insulated a doorknob to keep the cold air out? I was
thinking about removing it, filling the hole with foam then cut holes
for the screws and latch. Wondering what other's opinions are.

Thanks,

Carl

http://www.gaihosa.com

Speaking of doorknobs, here's my contribution to preserving the memories
of the olde days:

http://home.comcast.net/%7Ejwisnia18/jeff/knob.html

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 23, 4:29*pm, "SteveBell"
wrote:
wrote in
:

I didn't mean that there was actually a stream of cold air (which
there isn't) just the knob itself is freezing cold probably because it
is made of steel. *I figured filling *the gap with spray foam or
replacing the bezel with a wooden one would solve the problem.

If you disassemble the lockset, you'll find that the metal outside knob
is fastened to the metal inside knob with metal screws. The locking
mechanism also connects to both knobs, just not as solidly.

To stop heat from flowing from the warm side to the cool side, you'll
have to have a "thermal break" between the two sides--some non-metal
material to which both sides attach.

This non-metal thermal break is not available as far as I know, and I
bet it never will be. It would be a weak point in the lock, and you
want a lock to be as strong as possible.

The heat transfer will be small in any case.

If you're interested in saving heating/cooling money, you'll be better
off looking for something else to improve. If you want to avoid
touching a cold doorknob, get somebody's grandmother to knit a doorknob
cozy.

Hint: Don't waste your time saving money on your doorbell. ;-)

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

I feel like this posting can be useless. All I want to know is if
someone has ever insulated a door knob. That is it. Not if you like
knitting knobs, not if you are confused if this is a really post or
not, not your personal opinions on gmail, not anything but what is in
the original post. If the original post is not clear then ask for
clarification or don't post at all. Ron and Don had the only good
posts and I would like to thank them both very much for making this
particular thread worth while. I think the rest of you seriously need
to get a life!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in
:

On Nov 23, 4:29*pm, "SteveBell"
wrote:
wrote in
:

[...]

I'm sorry. We didn't know you just wanted an answer without any
justification, explanation, possible alternatives, conversation, or
camaraderie.

The answer is: No one has ever insulated a doorknob.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 23, 5:52*pm, "SteveBell"
wrote:
wrote in
:

On Nov 23, 4:29*pm, "SteveBell"
wrote:
wrote in
:

[...]

You're wrong! Useless post again. Ron has insulted a door knob (third
post in this thread) and Don suggested an alternative. Those are
intelligent answers. Are answers as such to much to ask for?????
Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveBell wrote:
wrote in
:

On Nov 23, 4:29 pm, "SteveBell"
wrote:
wrote in
:

[...]

And to answer your other question upstream about Google Groups (which is
NOT the same thing as Gmail), this is a good example of why people look
down on it. Your most recent post came through 5 separate times. The
Google Groups interface (which I have used in a pinch when my real
Usenet access was not available) is notorious for acting like a message
did NOT post, so people hit 'send' multiple times. A large percentage of
people on Google Groups do not even know Usenet exists- they think they
are posting on a Google owned and run website.

Not a flame, so don't take it personally. But if you want to spend a lot
of time on here, strongly recommend you look into some other method of
news access. A lot of people block all posts from Google outright, due
to the number of spammers and simply clueless people that post from
there. I haven't been that irritated yet, but a quick look in my kill
file confirms most of the people in there are from Google.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

On Nov 23, 4:29*pm, "SteveBell"
wrote:
wrote in
cd29cb29-71e3-4511-88a5-55eab6edd...

@w22g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

[...]

Original post misleading. Took it as airflow coming through.

Concerned about cold to touch:

1) They used to make rubber caps for them long ago. Probably were sold
to help prevent wall damage but really don't know.

2) Put a sock over it.

3) Wrap it with duct tape.

Concerned about the miniscule heat transfer. Go to craft store. Get a
styrofoam ball. Cut it in half. Hollow each half for half the handle.
Put over knob and glue/tape/whatever halves of ball.

In your OP you said "Wondering what other's opinions are." This
directly
answers that. You may note like them because they are ugly or
something
but they are options.

So, today I ran some new wiring, worked on refinishing cabinets,
painted
a kitchen, sized some more aspects of 2 countertops I will be
replacing
and made mailbox post from a 12' 4x4 for neighbor because his drunken
buddy backed over it.

I did that and all you have to do is worry about a few calories of
heat
coming through your ****ty knobs. And you say I'm the one who needs to
get a life?

No, I'm not going to post this 82 times to your 82 duplicate posts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

You need to get a life!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Nov 23, 9:17*pm, Red Green wrote:

1) They used to make rubber caps for them long ago. Probably were sold to help prevent wall damage but really don't know.

Weren't those for kid proofing? IOW, you had the squeeze the rubber
cover in order the turn the doorknob. If a child tried to turn the
knob the cover would just spin around the knob.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun 23 Nov 2008 08:20:09p, Ron told us...

On Nov 23, 9:17*pm, Red Green wrote:

1) They used to make rubber caps for them long ago. Probably were sold

help prevent wall damage but really don't know.

Weren't those for kid proofing? IOW, you had the squeeze the rubber
cover in order the turn the doorknob. If a child tried to turn the
knob the cover would just spin around the knob.

I think they were mainly to prevent wall damage. Depending on the doorknob
(many earlier knobs were large), they fit tightly enough that no squeezing
was necessary. I remember having those in one of the first homes my
parents had.

They do now have covers or a sort of ring that does prevent a child from
turning the knob.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Sunday, 11(XI)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day
3dys 3hrs 39mins
Read the dictionary backwards and look for secret messages.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote in
:

On Nov 23, 9:17*pm, Red Green wrote:

1) They used to make rubber caps for them long ago. Probably were
sold to

help prevent wall damage but really don't know.

Weren't those for kid proofing? IOW, you had the squeeze the rubber
cover in order the turn the doorknob. If a child tried to turn the
knob the cover would just spin around the knob.

I don't know Ron. Just remember them as a kid. They were on the knobs that
weren't glass. Might have been to keep us from eating the lead paint
chipping off the knobs...but that never stopped us.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Nov 23, 10:20*pm, Ron wrote:
On Nov 23, 9:17*pm, Red Green wrote:

1) They used to make rubber caps for them long ago. Probably were sold to help prevent wall damage but really don't know.

Weren't those for kid proofing? IOW, you had the squeeze the rubber
cover in order the turn the doorknob. If a child tried to turn the
knob the cover would just spin around the knob.

Yep.....
http://www.videojug.com/expertanswer...-childproofing

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

On Nov 23, 4:29*pm, "SteveBell"
wrote:
wrote in
:

[...]

5th time this msg posted. Like a damn Max Headroom transcript.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in news:d9ff8ea9-
:

wrote:
[...]

Here we go again with the repeat posting. Another episode of Max
Headroom.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun 23 Nov 2008 08:26:43p, Ron told us...

On Nov 23, 10:20*pm, Ron wrote:
On Nov 23, 9:17*pm, Red Green wrote:

1) They used to make rubber caps for them long ago. Probably were
sold

to help prevent wall damage but really don't know.

Weren't those for kid proofing? IOW, you had the squeeze the rubber
cover in order the turn the doorknob. If a child tried to turn the
knob the cover would just spin around the knob.

Yep.....
http://www.videojug.com/expertanswer...hen-and-bathro
om/how-are-doorknob-covers-used-in-childproofing

Well, yes, the modern version in your example is specifically for
childproofing, but it bears no resemblance to those made back in the 1950s,
which is what came to mind. I looked for an example but couldn't find any.
They were form fitting, and fit rather tightly in most cases. Kept the
knob from marking the wall.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Sunday, 11(XI)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day
3dys 3hrs 27mins
To remain silent when we should protest makes cowards out of men.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Nov 23, 4:29 pm, "SteveBell"
wrote:
wrote in
:

[...]

There are patents for thermal door knob insulators
but you can make your own easily with foam rubber
pipe insulation. A 6' stick of insulation should
be enough for you to make covers for all your door
knobs. Get a small can of glue that's made for the
rubber insulation and you can glue one end closed
which will make a little pouch that can be slipped
over a doorknob. With the right outside diameter tube,
the doorknob mount will be covered too. Here are
links to the patents but I found no suppliers for
ready made insulating covers:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/H002137.html

http://tinyurl.com/6fumnr

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have read all posts below...what a mess.

I was searching the same solution. It is now summer and my door latch is failing prompting me to take it apart to diagnose. The internal components are full of condensation as the outside warm humid air leaks into the door knob opening and is cooled by either hardware or indoor AC temperature. My searches reveal that door hardware freezes as the door hardware becomes the most prevalent source of leaking air in a tight home.

Solutions I have found so far include small rounds of bubble wrap cut to fit, the idea for spray foam (was that yours? kinda sounds messy but a good idea to displace all air). I have not seen any solution for the thermal bridging aspect.

Consider hanging out on GreenBuildingAdvisor where more people are focused on these types of issues.

Have a great day.

On Friday, November 21, 2008 at 8:42:18 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Has anyone ever insulated a doorknob to keep the cold air out? I was
thinking about removing it, filling the hole with foam then cut holes
for the screws and latch. Wondering what other's opinions are.

Thanks,

Carl

http://www.gaihosa.com

Spinning Keyhole in Doorknob Fleemo Home Repair 7 December 7th 08 04:11 AM
Small doorknob Stephen UK diy 8 March 13th 07 10:31 PM
To insulate or not to insulate, under tiles that is the question! Fash UK diy 22 September 13th 06 11:28 AM
Broken doorknob Reb Home Repair 6 October 31st 05 08:14 AM