Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] carlbernardi@gmail.com is offline

Default insulate doorknob

On Nov 23, 12:02*am, Jeff Wisnia
Has anyone ever insulated a doorknob to keep the cold air out? *I was
thinking about removing it, filling the hole with foam then cut holes
for the screws and latch. *Wondering what other's opinions are.

Thanks,

Carl

http://www.gaihosa.com

How is the "cold air" coming in?

Is it leaking out around the knob shank? There can't be a very large gap
there. maybe just an O-ring over the shank pushed against the hole it
comes through would stop most of the air flow. You could use a little
superglue to keep the O-ring in place.

Methinks you're straining at a gnat in terms of the amount of cold air
coming in there, relative to all the other air leaks in the average
house. but have fun....

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

I didn't mean that there was actually a stream of cold air (which
there isn't) just the knob itself is freezing cold probably because it
is made of steel. I figured filling the gap with spray foam or
replacing the bezel with a wooden one would solve the problem.