Posted to alt.home.repair

Default insulate doorknob

wrote:
On Nov 23, 4:29 pm, "SteveBell"
wrote:
wrote in
:

I didn't mean that there was actually a stream of cold air (which
there isn't) just the knob itself is freezing cold probably because it
is made of steel. I figured filling the gap with spray foam or
replacing the bezel with a wooden one would solve the problem.

If you disassemble the lockset, you'll find that the metal outside knob
is fastened to the metal inside knob with metal screws. The locking
mechanism also connects to both knobs, just not as solidly.

To stop heat from flowing from the warm side to the cool side, you'll
have to have a "thermal break" between the two sides--some non-metal
material to which both sides attach.

This non-metal thermal break is not available as far as I know, and I
bet it never will be. It would be a weak point in the lock, and you
want a lock to be as strong as possible.

The heat transfer will be small in any case.

If you're interested in saving heating/cooling money, you'll be better
off looking for something else to improve. If you want to avoid
touching a cold doorknob, get somebody's grandmother to knit a doorknob
cozy.

Hint: Don't waste your time saving money on your doorbell. ;-)

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

I feel like this posting can be useless. All I want to know is if
someone has ever insulated a door knob. That is it. Not if you like
knitting knobs, not if you are confused if this is a really post or
not, not your personal opinions on gmail, not anything but what is in
the original post. If the original post is not clear then ask for
clarification or don't post at all. Ron and Don had the only good
posts and I would like to thank them both very much for making this
particular thread worth while. I think the rest of you seriously need
to get a life!

There are patents for thermal door knob insulators
but you can make your own easily with foam rubber
pipe insulation. A 6' stick of insulation should
be enough for you to make covers for all your door
knobs. Get a small can of glue that's made for the
rubber insulation and you can glue one end closed
which will make a little pouch that can be slipped
over a doorknob. With the right outside diameter tube,
the doorknob mount will be covered too. Here are
links to the patents but I found no suppliers for
ready made insulating covers:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/H002137.html

http://tinyurl.com/6fumnr

TDD