Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Vinyl windows -- balances or no balances

I am trying to get some information on double-hung vinyl replacement
windows. What I am trying to learn about are the various mechanisms for
raising and lowering the window sashes.

Is it true that the trend is toward getting away from having any mechanical
balances in vinyl replacement windows? Instead, I have heard that the newer
vinyl replacement now use an adjustable friction type system with no tubes
or spirals, etc.

I am wondering about this because I keep running into vinyl windows in
different properties where the "balances" (or whatever they are called) are
broken, have missing parts, don't work correctly, etc. Yet, when I go to
websites like http://Pella.com I can't seem to find any clear information
there about this.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Oct 22, 12:14*pm, "alta47" wrote:
I am trying to get some information on double-hung vinyl replacement
windows. *What I am trying to learn about are the various mechanisms for
raising and lowering the window sashes.

Is it true that the trend is toward getting away from having any mechanical
balances in vinyl replacement windows? *Instead, I have heard that the newer
vinyl replacement now use an adjustable friction type system with no tubes
or spirals, etc.

I am wondering about this because I keep running into vinyl windows in
different properties where the "balances" (or whatever they are called) are
broken, have missing parts, don't work correctly, etc. *Yet, when I go to
websites likehttp://Pella.comI can't seem to find any clear information
there about this.

Don't obsess about it. Just buy Andersen or Pella windows and if
something breaks you're assured of a replacement part. (Often free).
HTH

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 22, 2:12*pm, Joe wrote:
[...]

Don't limit your search to Anderson or Pella. There are many, many
fine window companies that offer lifetime warranties - companies that
have just as good a chance of being there when you need them as
Anderson or Pella.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"alta47" wrote:

I am trying to get some information on double-hung vinyl replacement
windows. What I am trying to learn about are the various mechanisms for
raising and lowering the window sashes.

Is it true that the trend is toward getting away from having any mechanical
balances in vinyl replacement windows? Instead, I have heard that the newer
vinyl replacement now use an adjustable friction type system with no tubes
or spirals, etc.

I am wondering about this because I keep running into vinyl windows in
different properties where the "balances" (or whatever they are called) are
broken, have missing parts, don't work correctly, etc. Yet, when I go to
websites like http://Pella.com I can't seem to find any clear information
there about this.

Dunno about vinyl, but I put in some white painted aluminum single-hungs
a few years ago, and they're friction. One nice thing about them is the
moving panel pops right out for easy cleaning of both sides of both
panes from inside the house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

alta47 wrote:

I am trying to get some information on double-hung vinyl replacement
windows. What I am trying to learn about are the various mechanisms for
raising and lowering the window sashes.

Is it true that the trend is toward getting away from having any mechanical
balances in vinyl replacement windows? Instead, I have heard that the newer
vinyl replacement now use an adjustable friction type system with no tubes
or spirals, etc.

I am wondering about this because I keep running into vinyl windows in
different properties where the "balances" (or whatever they are called) are
broken, have missing parts, don't work correctly, etc. Yet, when I go to
websites like http://Pella.com I can't seem to find any clear information
there about this.

How many properties with older wooden windows have you seen with broken
counterweights, sash cords, etc.? Same thing, the more complicated and
more parts, the more likely it is to break. Nothing magic about vinyl
vs. wood vs. metal vs. composite. An adjustable friction system would
seem to be easier to tweak an adjustment on over time, and likely easier
to replace a friction pad if it wears out.

The real issue to consider with any window is the ease of washing them.
With some it can be a real pain to wash all glass surfaces. Windows that
are fully washable from the inside are best, but for single story
applications as long as every surface is accessible from either the
inside or the outside it's good enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 22, 2:39*pm, "Pete C." wrote:
alta47 wrote:

[...]

inside or the outside it's good enough.- Hide quoted text -

Do they even make vinyl replacement windows that don't tilt in?

My Simontons not only tilt in, but pop out the sash very easily, so
you don't even have to hold them up while cleaning.

Look for metal shoes, as opposed to plastic, at the pivot point.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"alta47" wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I'm glad to hear that the friction system works fine.

What I don't like about the systems with balances is that: the parts in
those mechanisms break; if I take the window sash out, it's a royal pain to
get it back in; trying to match up the pins on the window sash with the slot
in the balance is next to impossible; the balances are spring loaded and
sometimes snap up unexpectedly, etc.

So, I'm thinking, less moving parts means less chance for problems, and less
things to have to fix and put back together.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 22, 1:35*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 22, 2:12*pm, Joe wrote:

[...]

So true. Just installed 7 in my home. They not only have lifetime
warranties, but are transferable if the house is sold.

Look around. Check performance data.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"alta47" writes:

I am trying to get some information on double-hung vinyl replacement
windows. What I am trying to learn about are the various mechanisms for
raising and lowering the window sashes.

Is it true that the trend is toward getting away from having any mechanical
balances in vinyl replacement windows? Instead, I have heard that the newer
vinyl replacement now use an adjustable friction type system with no tubes
or spirals, etc.

We had them installed 3 years ago.
So far they work great.
All the windows operate easily and are still airtight.
Much better than wood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
"alta47" writes:

I am trying to get some information on double-hung vinyl replacement
windows. What I am trying to learn about are the various mechanisms for
raising and lowering the window sashes.

Is it true that the trend is toward getting away from having any
mechanical
balances in vinyl replacement windows? Instead, I have heard that the
newer
vinyl replacement now use an adjustable friction type system with no
tubes
or spirals, etc.

We had them installed 3 years ago.
So far they work great.
All the windows operate easily and are still airtight.
Much better than wood.

Thanks. That's good to know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan Espen wrote:
"alta47" writes:

I am trying to get some information on double-hung vinyl replacement
windows. What I am trying to learn about are the various mechanisms for
raising and lowering the window sashes.

Is it true that the trend is toward getting away from having any mechanical
balances in vinyl replacement windows? Instead, I have heard that the newer
vinyl replacement now use an adjustable friction type system with no tubes
or spirals, etc.

We had them installed 3 years ago.
So far they work great.
All the windows operate easily and are still airtight.
Much better than wood.

3 years is nothing. Let's see if you can say that after 30 years. Call
me old-fashioned, but I have never seen vinyl windows that impressed me,
or that I would pay money for, even high-end ones. Vinyl-clad wood,
maybe. With proper PM, wood windows easily last decades. At most, a
house should need 2 sets of windows during its useful lifespan. As a wee
lad, I worked construction cleanup on houses in the late 60s that still
to this day have their original windows. Even the cheap 1960
builder-grade single-panes in this place are still tight and solid. If I
ever do splurge on modern double-panes, they will be wood ones.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers writes:

Dan Espen wrote:
"alta47" writes:

[...]

Good luck with that.

I've had 100+ years old wood and 50+ year old wood.
The windows stuck, did not tilt out for cleaning and leaked
air like crazy.

My current vinyl ones are only 3 years old but they are
replacement windows. If they need replacing, it's really easy.

But they are made from vinyl, you don't paint them and weather
does nothing at all to them. As far as I know, the only issue
with vinyl is that it gets brittle in extreme cold and with
sunlight exposure. That must be an extremely slow process.
I've had this house covered with vinyl for over 25 years and
it is unchanged the whole time.

We have 3 Pergo wood double pane windows about 20 years old.
They are fine but do not tilt in for cleaning.

Adjusting Sash spiral balances chris French UK diy 0 August 31st 06 04:49 PM
Pella Thermastar Vinyl Windows vs. Jeld-Wen Vinyl Windows [email protected] Home Repair 1 May 29th 06 12:38 AM
Vinyl Windows Paulf Home Repair 4 May 19th 06 01:02 AM
Are Storm Windows a reasonable approach for newish vinyl windows? patrick conroy Home Repair 6 October 31st 05 12:11 AM
Source for block-and-tackle window balances? Wayne Whitney Home Repair 0 February 14th 05 07:41 PM