Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Vinyl windows -- balances or no balances

On Oct 22, 12:14*pm, "alta47" wrote:
I am trying to get some information on double-hung vinyl replacement
windows. *What I am trying to learn about are the various mechanisms for
raising and lowering the window sashes.

Is it true that the trend is toward getting away from having any mechanical
balances in vinyl replacement windows? *Instead, I have heard that the newer
vinyl replacement now use an adjustable friction type system with no tubes
or spirals, etc.

I am wondering about this because I keep running into vinyl windows in
different properties where the "balances" (or whatever they are called) are
broken, have missing parts, don't work correctly, etc. *Yet, when I go to
websites likehttp://Pella.comI can't seem to find any clear information
there about this.

Don't obsess about it. Just buy Andersen or Pella windows and if
something breaks you're assured of a replacement part. (Often free).
HTH

Joe