Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen Dan Espen is offline

Default Vinyl windows -- balances or no balances

aemeijers writes:

Dan Espen wrote:
"alta47" writes:

I am trying to get some information on double-hung vinyl
replacement windows. What I am trying to learn about are the
various mechanisms for raising and lowering the window sashes.

Is it true that the trend is toward getting away from having any
mechanical balances in vinyl replacement windows? Instead, I have
heard that the newer vinyl replacement now use an adjustable
friction type system with no tubes or spirals, etc.

We had them installed 3 years ago.
So far they work great.
All the windows operate easily and are still airtight.
Much better than wood.

3 years is nothing. Let's see if you can say that after 30 years. Call
me old-fashioned, but I have never seen vinyl windows that impressed
me, or that I would pay money for, even high-end ones. Vinyl-clad
wood, maybe. With proper PM, wood windows easily last decades. At
most, a house should need 2 sets of windows during its useful
lifespan. As a wee lad, I worked construction cleanup on houses in the
late 60s that still to this day have their original windows. Even the
cheap 1960 builder-grade single-panes in this place are still tight
and solid. If I ever do splurge on modern double-panes, they will be
wood ones.

Good luck with that.

I've had 100+ years old wood and 50+ year old wood.
The windows stuck, did not tilt out for cleaning and leaked
air like crazy.

My current vinyl ones are only 3 years old but they are
replacement windows. If they need replacing, it's really easy.

But they are made from vinyl, you don't paint them and weather
does nothing at all to them. As far as I know, the only issue
with vinyl is that it gets brittle in extreme cold and with
sunlight exposure. That must be an extremely slow process.
I've had this house covered with vinyl for over 25 years and
it is unchanged the whole time.

We have 3 Pergo wood double pane windows about 20 years old.
They are fine but do not tilt in for cleaning.