Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Vinyl windows -- balances or no balances

alta47 wrote:

I am trying to get some information on double-hung vinyl replacement
windows. What I am trying to learn about are the various mechanisms for
raising and lowering the window sashes.

Is it true that the trend is toward getting away from having any mechanical
balances in vinyl replacement windows? Instead, I have heard that the newer
vinyl replacement now use an adjustable friction type system with no tubes
or spirals, etc.

I am wondering about this because I keep running into vinyl windows in
different properties where the "balances" (or whatever they are called) are
broken, have missing parts, don't work correctly, etc. Yet, when I go to
websites like http://Pella.com I can't seem to find any clear information
there about this.

How many properties with older wooden windows have you seen with broken
counterweights, sash cords, etc.? Same thing, the more complicated and
more parts, the more likely it is to break. Nothing magic about vinyl
vs. wood vs. metal vs. composite. An adjustable friction system would
seem to be easier to tweak an adjustment on over time, and likely easier
to replace a friction pad if it wears out.

The real issue to consider with any window is the ease of washing them.
With some it can be a real pain to wash all glass surfaces. Windows that
are fully washable from the inside are best, but for single story
applications as long as every surface is accessible from either the
inside or the outside it's good enough.