Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Vinyl windows -- balances or no balances

Dan Espen wrote:
"alta47" writes:

I am trying to get some information on double-hung vinyl replacement
windows. What I am trying to learn about are the various mechanisms for
raising and lowering the window sashes.

Is it true that the trend is toward getting away from having any mechanical
balances in vinyl replacement windows? Instead, I have heard that the newer
vinyl replacement now use an adjustable friction type system with no tubes
or spirals, etc.

We had them installed 3 years ago.
So far they work great.
All the windows operate easily and are still airtight.
Much better than wood.

3 years is nothing. Let's see if you can say that after 30 years. Call
me old-fashioned, but I have never seen vinyl windows that impressed me,
or that I would pay money for, even high-end ones. Vinyl-clad wood,
maybe. With proper PM, wood windows easily last decades. At most, a
house should need 2 sets of windows during its useful lifespan. As a wee
lad, I worked construction cleanup on houses in the late 60s that still
to this day have their original windows. Even the cheap 1960
builder-grade single-panes in this place are still tight and solid. If I
ever do splurge on modern double-panes, they will be wood ones.

--
aem sends...