Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need Help with Kitchen Lighting

We recently pulled out the fluorescent light in our kitchen to replace it
with an incandescent light fixture. Canned/recessed lighting is not an
option since we are getting quotes of $1K+ and we don't want to spend that
much right now.

The problem we are having is that the first light fixture we put in was so
bright (when we dimmed it, it was too dark) and it created a lot of
shadows. So we replaced it with another light fixture, basically a flush
mount light that takes 3-60 Watt bulbs with a white glass dome covering
it. Again there is so much glare and too many shadows and the whole room
has that orange glow.

Does anyone have any suggestions on better light fixtures I can try? What
are some different options out there that wouldn't involved cutting holes
and rewiring the kitchen? The shadows and glares off of the
fridge/cabinets are killing me. But the fluorescent light we had in there
before was too dim and the light color was so drab.

The one we just put in looks something like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...9 0401+500910

Mona

Posted to alt.home.repair

goldenalgae wrote:

[...]

You aren't going to get even shadow free lighting from a single fixture.
If you can't DIY recessed lights, consider DIY track lighting which will
allow you to distribute the lighting appropriately. Also consider using
track heads that will accept CFLs, as they will save a lot of energy,
and the color temps are vastly better than the old fluorescent fixture
you replaced.
Posted to alt.home.repair

goldenalgae had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ng-337354-.htm
:
Thanks Pete. Do you know if LED track lighting is any good? My husband
just suggested it to me. How does it compare to CFLs? Also, we installed
a dimmer switch, can we use this with LEDs or CFLs? We found some CFLs
that accept dimmers, but the light color was very yellow/orange.

-------------------------------------
Pete C. wrote:

You aren't going to get even shadow free lighting from a single
fixture.
If you can't DIY recessed lights, consider DIY track lighting which
will
allow you to distribute the lighting appropriately. Also consider using
track heads that will accept CFLs, as they will save a lot of energy,
and the color temps are vastly better than the old fluorescent fixture
you replaced.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hard to believe you got a quote of 1K for hi-hats considering the
basic hi-hat is around $10 in a home center, and they are relatively
easy to install in existing sheetrock.
Posted to alt.home.repair

goldenalgae wrote:
We recently pulled out the fluorescent light in our kitchen to
replace it with an incandescent light fixture. Canned/recessed
lighting is not an option since we are getting quotes of $1K+ and we
don't want to spend that much right now.

Why did you remove the florescent fixture?

The long-tube florescent lights can't be improved upon for even lighting and
minimization of shadows.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In , goldenalgae wrote:

[...]

You probably want a fluorescent with four 4-foot 32 watt T8 (1
inch diameter) bulbs. 4 of those 32 watt bulbs will produce effectively
about as much light as 4-5 100W incandescents, even after such factors as
different light distribution, aging of the bulbs, ballasts for these
usually giving them slightly less than full power, light loss in the
fixture, and temperature maybe being non-optimum.

These bulbs come in a few different colors and 2 color rendering index
grades. The upper color rendering index grade has CRI around 84-85. And
unlike most fluorescents with CRI below 78 or above 86, the color
distortion is *not* generally in the direction of making colors duller.

For home use at that brightness of illumination, chances are you will
like the 3500K color best. That is a "warm white" shade, but whiter than
the more-orangish color of fluorescents trying to simulate incandescents.

So you will probably want to replace the bulbs with any of these, which
may be best obtained from an electrical/lighting supply shop of the kind
that contractors go to. They may have to order them and you may need to
wait a week or so and come back. Now for the bulbs:

Sylvania FO32/D835
Philips F32T8/835
GE F32T8/SPX35

SPX or 8 means upper color rendering grade. The lower CRI grade has
"SP" instead of "SPX" if by GE, otherwise has 7 instead of 8 in the
color code. 35 means 3500 Kelvin.

Other colors a

3000 K - incandescent-approximation warm white - often looks orangish

4100 K - the usual "cool white" color

5000 K - very slightly more blue than "cool white", about the color of
noontime tropical sunlight. May appear stark in home use.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , goldenalgae wrote:

goldenalgae had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/
maintenance/Re-Need-Help-with-Kitchen-Lighting-337354-.htm
:
Thanks Pete. Do you know if LED track lighting is any good? My husband
just suggested it to me. How does it compare to CFLs? Also, we installed
a dimmer switch, can we use this with LEDs or CFLs? We found some CFLs
that accept dimmers, but the light color was very yellow/orange.

There is a lot of hype with LED lighting. Screw base floodlight style
ones generally produce about half as much light as 50-60 watt
incandescents/halogens, more likely less than more. The color is usually
an icy cold slightly bluish white. There are warmer color ones, but the
light output is even less for those versions.

I know of one with good color, good color rendering and good efficiency,
but they are not track lights and I have yet to see one in use. Since I
have never seen one, I suspect they are either hard to get or cost an arm
and a leg (or both). Those are the ones by Cree Lighting
(www.creelighting.com).

I advise to only buy an LED light after you see it in actual use in a
situation similar to yours. Either that, or get it from a reputable
established supplier with a good return policy.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

goldenalgae wrote:

goldenalgae had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ng-337354-.htm
:
Thanks Pete. Do you know if LED track lighting is any good? My husband
just suggested it to me. How does it compare to CFLs? Also, we installed
a dimmer switch, can we use this with LEDs or CFLs? We found some CFLs
that accept dimmers, but the light color was very yellow/orange.

From everything I've seen, LEDs are not ready for household use yet. The
color temp of the "white" ones is still very blue, the color temp shifts
over time on the high power LEDs, and the beam patterns are far more
suited to flashlights than to residential lighting.

I don't use any dimmers on CFLs, but I've tired them and they worked ok.
The big issue with lighting is to keep all light sources in the room the
same color temperature. If you have mixed sources it *really*
accentuates the differences between them. When all the light is the same
color temperature, your eyes will very quickly adjust to them.

Since CFLs are significantly more energy efficient than incandescents or
halogens, and LEDs aren't quite ready, I recommend going with
flourescent for all lighting. You can use CFL lamps in track lighting
which I suggested due to the simple DIY installation and ease of getting
multiple lights where you need them. You can also use CFLs for under
cabinet lighting, either the new T4 tubular or the new mini-puck (forget
type number) version.