Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Need Help with Kitchen Lighting

In article , goldenalgae wrote:

goldenalgae had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/
maintenance/Re-Need-Help-with-Kitchen-Lighting-337354-.htm
:
Thanks Pete. Do you know if LED track lighting is any good? My husband
just suggested it to me. How does it compare to CFLs? Also, we installed
a dimmer switch, can we use this with LEDs or CFLs? We found some CFLs
that accept dimmers, but the light color was very yellow/orange.

There is a lot of hype with LED lighting. Screw base floodlight style
ones generally produce about half as much light as 50-60 watt
incandescents/halogens, more likely less than more. The color is usually
an icy cold slightly bluish white. There are warmer color ones, but the
light output is even less for those versions.

I know of one with good color, good color rendering and good efficiency,
but they are not track lights and I have yet to see one in use. Since I
have never seen one, I suspect they are either hard to get or cost an arm
and a leg (or both). Those are the ones by Cree Lighting
(www.creelighting.com).

I advise to only buy an LED light after you see it in actual use in a
situation similar to yours. Either that, or get it from a reputable
established supplier with a good return policy.

- Don Klipstein )