Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Need Help with Kitchen Lighting

In , goldenalgae wrote:

We recently pulled out the fluorescent light in our kitchen to replace it
with an incandescent light fixture. Canned/recessed lighting is not an
option since we are getting quotes of $1K+ and we don't want to spend that
much right now.

The problem we are having is that the first light fixture we put in was so
bright (when we dimmed it, it was too dark) and it created a lot of
shadows. So we replaced it with another light fixture, basically a flush
mount light that takes 3-60 Watt bulbs with a white glass dome covering
it. Again there is so much glare and too many shadows and the whole room
has that orange glow.

Does anyone have any suggestions on better light fixtures I can try? What
are some different options out there that wouldn't involved cutting holes
and rewiring the kitchen? The shadows and glares off of the
fridge/cabinets are killing me. But the fluorescent light we had in there
before was too dim and the light color was so drab.

You probably want a fluorescent with four 4-foot 32 watt T8 (1
inch diameter) bulbs. 4 of those 32 watt bulbs will produce effectively
about as much light as 4-5 100W incandescents, even after such factors as
different light distribution, aging of the bulbs, ballasts for these
usually giving them slightly less than full power, light loss in the
fixture, and temperature maybe being non-optimum.

These bulbs come in a few different colors and 2 color rendering index
grades. The upper color rendering index grade has CRI around 84-85. And
unlike most fluorescents with CRI below 78 or above 86, the color
distortion is *not* generally in the direction of making colors duller.

For home use at that brightness of illumination, chances are you will
like the 3500K color best. That is a "warm white" shade, but whiter than
the more-orangish color of fluorescents trying to simulate incandescents.

So you will probably want to replace the bulbs with any of these, which
may be best obtained from an electrical/lighting supply shop of the kind
that contractors go to. They may have to order them and you may need to
wait a week or so and come back. Now for the bulbs:

Sylvania FO32/D835
Philips F32T8/835
GE F32T8/SPX35

SPX or 8 means upper color rendering grade. The lower CRI grade has
"SP" instead of "SPX" if by GE, otherwise has 7 instead of 8 in the
color code. 35 means 3500 Kelvin.

Other colors a

3000 K - incandescent-approximation warm white - often looks orangish

4100 K - the usual "cool white" color

5000 K - very slightly more blue than "cool white", about the color of
noontime tropical sunlight. May appear stark in home use.

- Don Klipstein )