Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Need Help with Kitchen Lighting

goldenalgae wrote:

goldenalgae had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ng-337354-.htm
:
Thanks Pete. Do you know if LED track lighting is any good? My husband
just suggested it to me. How does it compare to CFLs? Also, we installed
a dimmer switch, can we use this with LEDs or CFLs? We found some CFLs
that accept dimmers, but the light color was very yellow/orange.

From everything I've seen, LEDs are not ready for household use yet. The
color temp of the "white" ones is still very blue, the color temp shifts
over time on the high power LEDs, and the beam patterns are far more
suited to flashlights than to residential lighting.

I don't use any dimmers on CFLs, but I've tired them and they worked ok.
The big issue with lighting is to keep all light sources in the room the
same color temperature. If you have mixed sources it *really*
accentuates the differences between them. When all the light is the same
color temperature, your eyes will very quickly adjust to them.

Since CFLs are significantly more energy efficient than incandescents or
halogens, and LEDs aren't quite ready, I recommend going with
flourescent for all lighting. You can use CFL lamps in track lighting
which I suggested due to the simple DIY installation and ease of getting
multiple lights where you need them. You can also use CFLs for under
cabinet lighting, either the new T4 tubular or the new mini-puck (forget
type number) version.