SantaUK

Default Lighting in Kitchen

I want to fit lights under my kitchen cabinets and have found some good
mains ones at TLC. I want them to operate whenever my cooker hood is
opened. I remember from my car days of using relays to work other circuits.
I can tap into the light circuit of the hood, so where could I get a
suitable relay that will operate the mains lights?

Regards

Ian Stirling

SantaUK wrote:
I want to fit lights under my kitchen cabinets and have found some good
mains ones at TLC. I want them to operate whenever my cooker hood is
opened. I remember from my car days of using relays to work other circuits.
I can tap into the light circuit of the hood, so where could I get a
suitable relay that will operate the mains lights?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/
http://www.cpc.co.uk/
http://rswww.co.uk/
http://www.farnell.co.uk/
http://www.theonion.com/

Should keep you busy for weeks.

Alternatively, investigate the switch rating on the cooker hood,
it may be adequate.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
SantaUK wrote:
I want to fit lights under my kitchen cabinets and have found some good
mains ones at TLC. I want them to operate whenever my cooker hood is
opened. I remember from my car days of using relays to work other
circuits. I can tap into the light circuit of the hood, so where could I
get a suitable relay that will operate the mains lights?

Perhaps the easiest to install/wire would be a plug in octal type -
although it's rather more than is needed. They have two pole changeover
contacts. And a base which has screw contacts.

TLC sell the relay and base for about 15 quid (SR 501) - other places like
CPC, RS etc would be cheaper, but may have a minimum charge.

If you can go down the soldering route there are hundreds of different
types available from electronics suppliers.

--
*(over a sketch of the titanic) "The boat sank - get over it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

N. Thornton

"SantaUK" wrote in message . ..
Its with TLC I'm getting the lights, so thats brilliant!!!

Thanks for you help, both of you.

its unlikely youd need a relay. The current consumption of the lights
is almost certain to be below the cookerhood switch rating.

NT

G&M

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...
"SantaUK" wrote in message

. ..
Its with TLC I'm getting the lights, so thats brilliant!!!

Thanks for you help, both of you.

its unlikely youd need a relay. The current consumption of the lights
is almost certain to be below the cookerhood switch rating.

Unless it's a Baumatic !! Some of their switches are hardly up to the fan
itself.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
N. Thornton wrote:
Its with TLC I'm getting the lights, so thats brilliant!!!

Thanks for you help, both of you.

its unlikely youd need a relay. The current consumption of the lights
is almost certain to be below the cookerhood switch rating.

I'm not so sure - florries are an inductive load. Some of the switches
I've seen used for this look barely adequate for the existing tiny load.

--
*A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Roly

N. Thornton wrote:
Its with TLC I'm getting the lights, so thats brilliant!!!

Thanks for you help, both of you.

its unlikely youd need a relay. The current consumption of the lights
is almost certain to be below the cookerhood switch rating.

I'm not so sure - florries are an inductive load. Some of the switches
I've seen used for this look barely adequate for the existing tiny load.

Interestingly enough, somebody has asked me to do a job pretty much
like this one.

I considered using the lamp switch within the cooker hood to operate
some small lamps.

How can I tell if the switch is suitably rated to handle another
20-50W of halogen lighting via a transformer ?
G&M

om...

N. Thornton wrote:
Its with TLC I'm getting the lights, so thats brilliant!!!

Thanks for you help, both of you.

its unlikely youd need a relay. The current consumption of the lights
is almost certain to be below the cookerhood switch rating.

I'm not so sure - florries are an inductive load. Some of the switches
I've seen used for this look barely adequate for the existing tiny load.

Interestingly enough, somebody has asked me to do a job pretty much
like this one.

I considered using the lamp switch within the cooker hood to operate
some small lamps.

How can I tell if the switch is suitably rated to handle another
20-50W of halogen lighting via a transformer ?

If you mean a real transformer rather than an electronic one, it most
probably isn't. Transformers have nasty surges on turn on unless you fit an
thermistor to ramp it on.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Roly wrote:
Having taken a look, the switch in the cooker hood is a radio-style
switch with one button for the lights and three interlocked adjacent
buttons for the fan speed. All the switches are mounted on one frame.

It certainly doesn't use a standard microswitch and I can't see any
rating printed on it.

Would an electronic transformer be a safe additional load then ?

I wouldn't risk it. Fit a relay. Cheaper than having to replace the switch
bank - even if you can get the spares.

--
*Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard? *