Roly

Pete C wrote in message . ..
On 5 Oct 2004 13:21:26 -0700, (Roly) wrote:

How can I tell if the switch is suitably rated to handle another
20-50W of halogen lighting via a transformer ?

Hi,

If it's a microswitch it should have the resistive and inductive
rating on the body, the inductive is usually in brackets, eg 8(3)A
means 8A resistive and 3A inductive.

If it's a standard size and there's any doubt on it's rating just
replace it with something up to the job.

Having taken a look, the switch in the cooker hood is a radio-style
switch with one button for the lights and three interlocked adjacent
buttons for the fan speed. All the switches are mounted on one frame.

It certainly doesn't use a standard microswitch and I can't see any
rating printed on it.

Would an electronic transformer be a safe additional load then ?