Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lubricate with regular oil or WD-40

I've googled this topic and there is two opinions out there. Some
say use regular oil because it last longer, others say use wd-40
because it does not collect dust, which will gum up and create
problems. Any ideas which is better?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 13, 11:11*am, lbbss wrote:
I've googled this topic and there is two opinions out there. * Some
say use regular oil because it last longer, others say use wd-40
because it does not collect dust, which will gum up and create
problems. * *Any ideas which is better?

Better for what?

In general, WD-40 is *not* a great lubricant. It's a pretty good
cleaner, a decent rust inhibitor - if renewed regularly - and not bad
for stopping squeaks in hinges, etc. but as a lubricant it ranks
pretty low on the totem pole.

I'd argue that there isn't really one perfect lubricant for all
applications. What is it that you are planning to lubriacte?
Posted to alt.home.repair

lbbss wrote:
I've googled this topic and there is two opinions out there. Some
say use regular oil because it last longer, others say use wd-40
because it does not collect dust, which will gum up and create
problems. Any ideas which is better?

3-In-One Oil works for most household oiling from the
furnace blower, sewing machine, hinges, toys and just
about anything that needs a drop of oil. WD-40 comes
from the same company but it was developed for a
different purpose. The inventor tried a number of
formulas before he came up with "Water Displacement
formula number 40" hence it's name. Take the cap off
a can of WD-40 spray enough in the cap to fill it to
depth of about 1/8 inch then put a drop of water in
it, the reaction is quite interesting. Different items
like chain drives need a different type of lubricant.

http://www.3inone.com/products/

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

lbbss wrote:
I've googled this topic and there is two opinions out there. Some
say use regular oil because it last longer, others say use wd-40
because it does not collect dust, which will gum up and create
problems. Any ideas which is better?

If I want something that lasts a long time and doesn't attract dust, I use
K-Y Jelly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 08:11:28 -0700 (PDT), lbbss
wrote:

I've googled this topic and there is two opinions out there. Some
say use regular oil because it last longer, others say use wd-40
because it does not collect dust, which will gum up and create
problems. Any ideas which is better?

Use what the doctor recommended.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Posted to alt.home.repair

oops, I meant to say for a garage door wheels, pullers and springs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 18:02:42 -0500, "Steve Barker DLT"

#1. since when does wd-40 not collect dust?

We agree here- I think it attacts as much dust as any other lubricant.

#2. WD-40 is not a lubricant. so the two are not interchangeable

Yes it is. Though there seem to be a lot of folks in cyberspace who
say it isn't- and even claim that the manufacturer says it isn't.

From
http://www.wd40.com/faqs/#q7

What does WD-40 do?
WD-40 fulfills five basic functions:
1. CLEANS: WD-40 gets under dirt, grime and grease to clean. It also
dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of labels, tape and excess
bonding material.
2. DISPLACES MOISTU Because WD-40 displaces moisture, it quickly
dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short
circuits.
3. PENETRATES: WD-40 loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck,
frozen or rusted metal parts.
4. LUBRICATES: WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed
and tenaciously held to all moving parts.
5. PROTECTS: WD-40 protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant
ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements.

Whether it is the best lubricant/cleaner/protector/penetrator is
certainly open to discussion. [I like it best for displacing water,
myself- but I have used it for all of the above from time to time]
*What* you intend to lubricate, and the atmosphere around it will
determine if WD40 is a good choice.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've googled this topic and there is two opinions out there. Some
say use regular oil because it last longer, others say use wd-40
because it does not collect dust, which will gum up and create
problems. Any ideas which is better?

WD40 has NO lubricitive properties whatsoever.

-Zz
Posted to alt.home.repair

snip
4. LUBRICATES: WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed
and tenaciously held to all moving parts.

snip
Whether it is the best lubricant/cleaner/protector/penetrator is
certainly open to discussion. [I like it best for displacing water,
myself- but I have used it for all of the above from time to time]
*What* you intend to lubricate, and the atmosphere around it will
determine if WD40 is a good choice.

WD-40 has such a low film strength that it is useless for any
application that creates moderate pressures.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 13, 10:11*am, lbbss wrote:
I've googled this topic and there is two opinions out there. * Some
say use regular oil because it last longer, others say use wd-40
because it does not collect dust, which will gum up and create
problems. * *Any ideas which is better?

Tri-Flow

http://www.triflowlubricants.com/Sup...rior_drip.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

lbbss wrote:
oops, I meant to say for a garage door wheels, pullers and springs.

I don't think these need to be lubricated as much as they need a rust
prevention treatment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've googled this topic and there is two opinions out there. * Some
say use regular oil because it last longer, others say use wd-40
because it does not collect dust, which will gum up and create
problems. * *Any ideas which is better?

WD40 has NO lubricitive properties whatsoever.

-Zz

Many years ago I worked at a defense plant that
manufactured 20mm practice rounds for the U S
Air Force and artillery shell safety devices for
army howitzer shells. The clockwork timer mechanisms
were lubricated with WD-40. Go figure.

TDD

The clockwork timer mechanisms were lubricated with WD-40. Go
figure

Many years ago they used leeches for a variety of illnesses. We live,
we learn, we adapt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 08:35:20 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Many years ago they used leeches for a variety of illnesses.

Howdy,

I was amazed to learn that they are being used again...

http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/abs...act.2005.11.12

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Many years ago they used leeches for a variety of illnesses.

Howdy,

I was amazed to learn that they are being used again...

http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/abs...act.2005.11.12

Why amazed?
'We live, we learn, sometimes we're right already. . .'g

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Many years ago they used leeches for a variety of illnesses.

Howdy,

I was amazed to learn that they are being used again...

http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/abs...act.2005.11.12

Why amazed?
'We live, we learn, sometimes we're right already. . .'g

Jim

Hi Jim,

I really was amazed...

I guess that was because I had always thought of leeches as
being emblematic of fallacious ideas of years gone by.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Kenneth wrote:
I guess that was because I had always thought of leeches as
being emblematic of fallacious ideas of years gone by.

And, for some of the uses of yore, they are. "Bleeding" as was
practiced formerly isn't the usage being made of them currently, at
least w/ the same ideas as then.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 14, 12:43*pm, dpb wrote:
Kenneth wrote:

I guess that was because I had always thought of leeches as
being emblematic of fallacious ideas of years gone by.

And, for some of the uses of yore, they are. *"Bleeding" as was
practiced formerly isn't the usage being made of them currently, at
least w/ the same ideas as then.

--

From what I understand...they are used to restart or stimulate
circulation, as in reattaching body parts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I've googled this topic and there is two opinions out there. Some
say use regular oil because it last longer, others say use wd-40
because it does not collect dust, which will gum up and create
problems. Any ideas which is better?
WD40 has NO lubricitive properties whatsoever.
-Zz

Many years ago I worked at a defense plant that
manufactured 20mm practice rounds for the U S
Air Force and artillery shell safety devices for
army howitzer shells. The clockwork timer mechanisms
were lubricated with WD-40. Go figure.

TDD

The clockwork timer mechanisms were lubricated with WD-40. Go
figure

Many years ago they used leeches for a variety of illnesses. We live,
we learn, we adapt.

I don't think a leech would have provided the
necessary lubrication.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Many years ago they used leeches for a variety of illnesses.

Howdy,

I was amazed to learn that they are being used again...

http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/abs...act.2005.11.12

All the best,

Heck, there is quite a trade in medical maggots,
the little squirming ones, not the two legged kind.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
I don't think a leech would have provided the
necessary lubrication.

The US congress is full of the oily blood-suckers.

--
js

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the
support of Paul. ----George Bernard Shaw

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Many years ago they used leeches for a variety of illnesses.

Howdy,

I was amazed to learn that they are being used again...

http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/abs...act.2005.11.12

All the best,

Heck, there is quite a trade in medical maggots,
the little squirming ones, not the two legged kind.

TDD

I recently saw a brief snippet of a show called "101 Things Removed
From The Human Body". There was the typical assortment of knifes,
branches, scissors, etc.

And then there was this...

A lady went on vacation in South America. A few weeks after she
returned she noticed a red swelling sore on her head. She went to the
doctor who found that a maggot had taken up residence under her scalp,
but she didn't have enough access to remove it.

The doctor said that the maggot breathed through the little hole in
the "sore spot" so they needed the maggot to come to the surface a
little more. She put a glob of vaseline over the spot and covered it
with tape. This caused the maggot to dig it's way out of her head and
through the vaseline to get air. A few days later, when the maggot had
made it's way partially out, the lady went back to the doctor. The
doctor grabbed the maggot with tweezers and slowly pulled it out of
the lady's head.

It was at least an inch long and a 1/4" in girth. Oh yeah, it was also
pretty gross.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Many years ago they used leeches for a variety of illnesses.

Howdy,

I was amazed to learn that they are being used again...

http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/abs...act.2005.11.12

All the best,

Heck, there is quite a trade in medical maggots,
the little squirming ones, not the two legged kind.

TDD

Well, actually, there is quite a trade in both...g

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Many years ago they used leeches for a variety of illnesses.
Howdy,
I was amazed to learn that they are being used again...
http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/abs...act.2005.11.12
All the best,

Heck, there is quite a trade in medical maggots,
the little squirming ones, not the two legged kind.

TDD

I recently saw a brief snippet of a show called "101 Things Removed
From The Human Body". There was the typical assortment of knifes,
[...]

I saw that one. You should look into the history
of the medical caduceus, it's fascinating.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

alarman wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
I don't think a leech would have provided the
necessary lubrication.

The US congress is full of the oily blood-suckers.

Hmmmm, I wonder if there is an existing process to grind up
and recover petroleum from legislators? If not, inventing
one could be quite lucrative, not to mention a good way to
get rid of vermin.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
alarman wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
I don't think a leech would have provided the
necessary lubrication.

The US congress is full of the oily blood-suckers.

Hmmmm, I wonder if there is an existing process to grind up
and recover petroleum from legislators? If not, inventing
one could be quite lucrative, not to mention a good way to
get rid of vermin.

TDD

2 words for you: Soylent Green

--
js

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the
support of Paul. ----George Bernard Shaw

Posted to alt.home.repair

alarman wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
alarman wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
I don't think a leech would have provided the
necessary lubrication.

The US congress is full of the oily blood-suckers.

Hmmmm, I wonder if there is an existing process to grind up
and recover petroleum from legislators? If not, inventing
one could be quite lucrative, not to mention a good way to
get rid of vermin.

TDD

2 words for you: Soylent Green

That's food silly. All that happens is the
that the politicians are returned to their
natural state after passing through the
digestive system.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

in that case, a good aerosol synthetic spray lube like maybe something you'd
put on a bike chain would be good.

"lbbss" wrote in message
oops, I meant to say for a garage door wheels, pullers and springs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

well, water lubricates also....... If you're a water pump seal. as for
wd-40, it's not a lubricant.

#1. since when does wd-40 not collect dust?

We agree here- I think it attacts as much dust as any other lubricant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 00:01:42 -0500, "Steve Barker DLT"
wrote:

well, water lubricates also....... If you're a water pump seal. as for
wd-40, it's not a lubricant.

Incorrect, and easily disproved with a practical application test.
Take a pair of pliers that are stuck in one position from rust and
non-use. Spray the hinge with WD-40, which is a penetrating lubricant.
work the pliers open and closed. They will get easier and easier to
manipulate as the lubricant penetrates.

Just because a lubricant isn't like molasses doesn't mean it is not a
lubricant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 15, 9:52*am, Smitty Two wrote:

wrote:

well, water lubricates also....... * If you're a water pump seal. * as for
wd-40, it's not a lubricant.

Incorrect, and easily disproved with a practical application test.
Take a pair of pliers that are stuck in one position from rust and
non-use. Spray the hinge with WD-40, which is a penetrating lubricant.
work the pliers open and closed. They will get easier and easier to
manipulate as the lubricant penetrates.

Just because a lubricant isn't like molasses doesn't mean it is not a
lubricant.

I'm with the dog on this one. I don't know why people love to trash
WD-40 so much. I've used it with tremendous success on many, many
applications over more years than I want to count, and the stuff works.
Not just sort of works, but really works. Better than advertised, IMO.- Hide quoted text -

IMHO, WD-40 is a definite aid in working on small engines (displaces
water, aids combustion when sprayed in the carb)
It is a decent penetrant...and a poor quality and gumming lubricant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 15, 10:52*am, Smitty Two wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I don't see it as trashing, per se. I see it as stating the fact that
there are much better lubricants for, dare I say, most applications.
Or perhaps it would be better to state that there are specific
applications where WD-40 should *not* be used as a lubricant.

WD-40 has it's place in our arsenal of solutions. I buy it by the half-
gallon and have 3 of these around the house/garage/shop:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/28...y_Bottle_Empty

It's so much cheaper and much more convenient that way.

However, I rarely use it as a lubricant, other than the occasional
squeaky hinge or the like. I mainly use it as a cleaner for adhesives
(when I can't find my lighter fluid!) and to prevent rust on certain
items.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bzzzt what??? you've never freed up stuck parts with a torch?

wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 10:35:35 -0500, "Steve Barker DLT"
wrote:

you can do the same thing with a torch.

Bzzzt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 15, 11:11*am, wrote:
Most tools work best in skilled and knowlegable hands, being used for
the right job. If someone continually uses the wrong tool for the job,
and gets poor results, they often blame the tool.

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 09:07:58 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

wrote:

well, water lubricates also....... * If you're a water pump seal. * as for
wd-40, it's not a lubricant.

Incorrect, and easily disproved with a practical application test.
Take a pair of pliers that are stuck in one position from rust and
non-use. Spray the hinge with WD-40, which is a penetrating lubricant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

And neither will it be lubricated with WD40, cause WD40 is not a lubricant.

so,

bzzzzzzzzzzzttt.... thanks for playing though.

wrote in message
news

You may free up a stuck part with a torch if you don't manage to
distort it, but it sure won't be lubricated.

So, bzzzzt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

No, i'm not very mechanical. I've only been ASE certified since '79 in both
automotive and heavy truck areas.

so, **** off and keep spraying your wd40 around. It helps the economy i
guess. It sure as hell doesn't help anything else.

steve

wrote in message
All you have proven is that you are not a very skilled or able
craftsman or mechanic.

You can repeat your mistaken belief that WD-40 is not a lubricant as
many times as you like, but it will not be correct.

You just don't understand what a lubricant is.

You are on the same level of expertise as someone who would claim that
motor oil is not a lubricant, because only axle grease is a lubricant.

I'd say Bzzzzt again, but I sprayed some WD-40 on it and the noise
stopped due to a sudden lack of friction.